cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the worst credit card you currently/have ever had?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what is the worst credit card you currently/have ever had?

Worst card........ hmmm..... No complaints really. I will say that commerce bank has been fairly cool with always sending 0% checks... but their CLIs are auto every 6 months.... and they eliminated their online shopping portal.... so yeah basically you earn points that are worth a half a cent each, and they actually let you earn points on interest charges...which to me seems horrible and encourages bad behavior...... 

but they have given me quite a few free $25 gift cards for adding a feature like toggle (you can pick amounts, place, category, anything, and if a sepcific charge meets that critera you can have it set to be auto paid from your checking account, I doo LOVE this feature and wish more cards had this)

It does upset me when folks get swindled into those $300 limit cards that have 29% APR and when it comes you only have like $25 available. Which to me is basically a non refundable secured card .

Message 21 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overstock for sure. 26.99 apr!!!! Got it through sct when i was buying bedding and stuff. It has grown so far to $1750 cl, but i have to force myself to buy something small now. May close in time...

Really regret getting Avenue through sct too. 24.99% apr. I used to be plus size but lost 50 lbs so now its pointless. Buy a $25 pajama shirt every now and then.

They served a purpose for me for a few months. I really didn't know i could've qualified for better cards at that time and was a myfico newbie so went overboard with sct. I actually like my VS card though. Only use for good sales, and it's usually small amts which makes it easier to pif or treat myself sometimes.

Message 22 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was pretty stupid. But FICO forum has made into a wiser person.

1. Barclay Apple Rewards [trash]; I couldn't care any less about iTunes or Apple products 2. Visa Quicksilver Platinum and QuickSilver One $39.99 annual fee/1st year waived; 3. J.Crew [I don't waste money on clothes] 4. Old Navy Dept. Card [trash; I don't waste money on clothes]

Yeah, young and stupid until I ran into FICO forums which was a few days ago.

Message 23 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats on your weight loss!! the most important part about that is your confidence level. you probably feel much more amazing now
Message 24 of 69
whiteknight1971
Regular Contributor

I opened up a Cap1 Journey card a year ago in early September. Starting limit $ 300, after 6 months to a whopping $ 500, and now after a year it sits at $ 750

I called yesterday and turned it into a Cap1 Quicksilver Sig Visa. Hopefully now I will be getting some decent CLI.

Message 25 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@whiteknight1971 wrote:

I opened up a Cap1 Journey card a year ago in early September. Starting limit $ 300, after 6 months to a whopping $ 500, and now after a year it sits at $ 750

I called yesterday and turned it into a Cap1 Quicksilver Sig Visa. Hopefully now I will be getting some decent CLI.

I've read on FICO forums that it's possible. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Quicksilver-VISA-Platinum-to-Signature/td-p...

"

Let me clarify a couple things with regards to how CapitalOne works... I'll preface by saying I've been a customer since 1999, and have had everything from starter secured cards, to rewards, etc... and have dealt with conversions, multiple accounts, etc.

CapitalOne has products, and segments.  Every customer is assigned a product (ie VentureOne, Venture, Quicksilver One, Quicksilver, Platinum, Platinum Prestige, etc). Every customer is also assigned a segment (Secured, Gold, Platinum, Standard, Signature\Elite). When you apply for a card, the approval comes with a product and a segment. The product is generally determined by CapitalOne's standards of credit worthiness. The Segment is a combination of CapitalOne's assignment, alongside Visa and Mastercard's contractual criterial for Signature\World Elite status. Only ONE of those criteria is that the limit must be $5000+ ... there are many others. As far as system goes, once you've been assigned a segment, you're stuck with the segment for the LIFE of that particular account. So say you open a secured card, then in 2 years want to go to a Platinum\Standard card... you must re apply and be approved into a new segment. If you want to go from a Platinum card to a Visa Signature segment, you must reapply and open a new account. There is nobody within the entire company that will ever be able to convert a CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa to a CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa Signature... EVER... has never happened and won't be happening.

With that said... there are many ways to get credit line increases to put you into the same credit line average as those with signature. For years I had the standard 1% capitalone no hassles rewards\cash card\venture, then I switched to quicksilver. I have a Chase Mileage Club card with $50,000 limit, I have various other cards through B of A, etc that have $20k+++ limits, but I have always loved my CapitalOne card... mainly because no foreign transaction fees and super easy and quick cash back account credits... it's just such an easy card to use. 

So 4 years ago I had a card with a $2500 limit (at the time was the CapitalOne No hassle cash card, that ugly green thing)... I wanted to use it as my every day card, but they kept turning down my request for a CLI because I paid it off every month. I explained I do that with all of my cards... they said I needed to carry a balance to be deemed to have need for more credit. I explained the catch-22 that I don't use the card because it doesn't have enough limit to use when I'm overseas for 2-3 weeks at a time. They denied. I escalated to the Executive Office. After about 2 weeks of process, they agreed to manually pull and review my credit report, and call me back. The analyst called and agreed that my credit was good (802 credit score - zero debt\liabilities, plenty of assets\income). So they asked how much I wanted. I said $10,000. Done. Simple as that. However, going back to the segment above... my card was still a Quicksilver Visa Platinum (not signature because like I said the segment on an account can never be changed)...

So for the last couple years I've been happy with using it... but now more and more third-parties are offering special discounts and promotions to Visa Signature cardholders, so  the conundrum is back. I have 7 cards that are Visa Signature, but the CapitalOne card, the one card I WANT to be, is not. I called my contact at the EO to see if maybe things had changed, but he explained again that it's not CapitalOne that determines the attributes required for Visa Signature or World Elite, it's the contract with Visa\MC. He explained that I should just apply for the Quicksilver (or whichever card I want) on CapitalOne's website, and that if I meet the segment requirements they'll open another account. He said CapitalOne used to allow 2 accounts per customer, now they allow 4. Good.

So I went on CapitalOne's website, Applied for the Quicksilver card... and low and behold, $25,000 Credit Limit, Quicksilver Visa Signature! Yay! I was expecting $5,000 Visa Signature knowing how conservative CapitalOne is, but it's good to know that they actually make sense of applications these days.

Bottom line I finally have the $25k Visa Signature (Segment) Quicksilver (Product) card! To me CapitalOne makes it a hassle to change accounts, but as far as ease of use, problem-free use, etc, they're tops. I'm so happy.

Hopefully many of you with questions in here will have gotten some answers from this post. I know there's a lot of misconceptions out there regarding why things work the way they do at Capitalone and I hope this helps you!"

Message 26 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@whiteknight1971 wrote:

I've read on FICO forums that it's possible. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Quicksilver-VISA-Platinum-to-Signature/td-p/2997364/page/3

"

Let me clarify a couple things with regards to how CapitalOne works... I'll preface by saying I've been a customer since 1999, and have had everything from starter secured cards, to rewards, etc... and have dealt with conversions, multiple accounts, etc.

CapitalOne has products, and segments.  Every customer is assigned a product (ie VentureOne, Venture, Quicksilver One, Quicksilver, Platinum, Platinum Prestige, etc). Every customer is also assigned a segment (Secured, Gold, Platinum, Standard, Signature\Elite). When you apply for a card, the approval comes with a product and a segment. The product is generally determined by CapitalOne's standards of credit worthiness. The Segment is a combination of CapitalOne's assignment, alongside Visa and Mastercard's contractual criterial for Signature\World Elite status. Only ONE of those criteria is that the limit must be $5000+ ... there are many others. As far as system goes, once you've been assigned a segment, you're stuck with the segment for the LIFE of that particular account. So say you open a secured card, then in 2 years want to go to a Platinum\Standard card... you must re apply and be approved into a new segment. If you want to go from a Platinum card to a Visa Signature segment, you must reapply and open a new account. There is nobody within the entire company that will ever be able to convert a CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa to a CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa Signature... EVER... has never happened and won't be happening.

With that said... there are many ways to get credit line increases to put you into the same credit line average as those with signature. For years I had the standard 1% capitalone no hassles rewards\cash card\venture, then I switched to quicksilver. I have a Chase Mileage Club card with $50,000 limit, I have various other cards through B of A, etc that have $20k+++ limits, but I have always loved my CapitalOne card... mainly because no foreign transaction fees and super easy and quick cash back account credits... it's just such an easy card to use. 

So 4 years ago I had a card with a $2500 limit (at the time was the CapitalOne No hassle cash card, that ugly green thing)... I wanted to use it as my every day card, but they kept turning down my request for a CLI because I paid it off every month. I explained I do that with all of my cards... they said I needed to carry a balance to be deemed to have need for more credit. I explained the catch-22 that I don't use the card because it doesn't have enough limit to use when I'm overseas for 2-3 weeks at a time. They denied. I escalated to the Executive Office. After about 2 weeks of process, they agreed to manually pull and review my credit report, and call me back. The analyst called and agreed that my credit was good (802 credit score - zero debt\liabilities, plenty of assets\income). So they asked how much I wanted. I said $10,000. Done. Simple as that. However, going back to the segment above... my card was still a Quicksilver Visa Platinum (not signature because like I said the segment on an account can never be changed)...

So for the last couple years I've been happy with using it... but now more and more third-parties are offering special discounts and promotions to Visa Signature cardholders, so  the conundrum is back. I have 7 cards that are Visa Signature, but the CapitalOne card, the one card I WANT to be, is not. I called my contact at the EO to see if maybe things had changed, but he explained again that it's not CapitalOne that determines the attributes required for Visa Signature or World Elite, it's the contract with Visa\MC. He explained that I should just apply for the Quicksilver (or whichever card I want) on CapitalOne's website, and that if I meet the segment requirements they'll open another account. He said CapitalOne used to allow 2 accounts per customer, now they allow 4. Good.

So I went on CapitalOne's website, Applied for the Quicksilver card... and low and behold, $25,000 Credit Limit, Quicksilver Visa Signature! Yay! I was expecting $5,000 Visa Signature knowing how conservative CapitalOne is, but it's good to know that they actually make sense of applications these days.

Bottom line I finally have the $25k Visa Signature (Segment) Quicksilver (Product) card! To me CapitalOne makes it a hassle to change accounts, but as far as ease of use, problem-free use, etc, they're tops. I'm so happy.

Hopefully many of you with questions in here will have gotten some answers from this post. I know there's a lot of misconceptions out there regarding why things work the way they do at Capitalone and I hope this helps you!"

Segment thing is interesting, kinda makes some sense. However there are folks here that have been able to go from visa to visa signature either by an offer or by a CLI and contacting EO. Not very easy to do though.

Same thing goes for MC to world or world elite.... 

Sounds to me like you were worried about just the card saying "Visa Signature" As you already have many other cards with this benefit, so you in essence wasted 3 hard pulls just to get the name changed...although you did get a great limit!  You could have also went for a venture or another card under those 3 inquiries.

What visa sig benefits are you taking advantage of on this card that you couldnt previously?

Message 27 of 69
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Barclay Apple Rewards [trash]; I couldn't care any less about iTunes or Apple products 2. Visa Quicksilver Platinum and QuickSilver One $39.99 annual fee/1st year waived; 3. J.Crew [I don't waste money on clothes] 4. Old Navy Dept. Card [trash; I don't waste money on clothes]

My Apple Rewards card is perfect for me. I'm a huge Apple fan, so I used it to buy a 5k iMac at 0% for 18 months- paid it off in less than 5. Made $50 in Apple gift cards with no effort. 

You can always call them up and they'll extend a 0% offer after Apple updates or introduces new products. 

Message 28 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merrick Bank Visa with 1.5k CL. There is no rewards, and the card has not grown at all over the years.
I received a mail prequal when I only had few cards, so it's been contributing to my AAoA, and for this reason, I don't plan to close it.
Message 29 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My Apple Rewards card is perfect for me. I'm a huge Apple fan, so I used it to buy a 5k iMac at 0% for 18 months- paid it off in less than 5. Made $50 in Apple gift cards with no effort. 

You can always call them up and they'll extend a 0% offer after Apple updates or introduces new products. 

I still have a $25.00 iTunes gift card that I earned from Barclay. There is no point in buying music when you can get it for free anywhere. Youtube, Spotify, etc. I just received Sia's latest album for free at Google Listen. I don't want to buy an iPhone either because I have a family plan and don't have to pay for cell phone service at all. So I find it ridiculous to get an iPhone just for what? Doesn't make financial sense to me.

I called them if I could make a product change to what is more useful to me since I don't care about iTunes or Apple products. I wanted cash back rewards; they said it is impossible and that I would have to apply for it and I said no thank you because there are better credits cards out there to apply for.

Message 30 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.