Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's a next logical step?

tag
IrishUpstart
Established Member

Last night I randomly applied for a best buy card and was approved for a $2k store card. The only other cards I have are a secure usbank card for 300 I got in March, and a cap one unsecured card I got in April. Last week the CL on cap increased to 1300 from 300. Myfico is around 640.

Should I leave as is for now, or is there something I should try for?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: what's a next logical step?

If it was me I would wait a minimum of 6 months. At that time apply for a card I would need not because I want a card. Applying for cards you want may get you denied for cards you need, because of to many inquiries and TLs. Congrats on your credit journey.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 9
BUN
Established Contributor

I would garden for a year to improve your AAOA, and pay on time every time to get those scores up so you can eventually get the prime cards! You can also PC the bestbuy to a MC. That's what I have, then you don't have to shop at bestbuy to keep it alive. Good luck!

Starting Score : 575 May, 2013
Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 3 of 9
BUN
Established Contributor

Good advice as always Cold! Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BUN wrote:

I would garden for a year to improve your AAOA, and pay on time every time to get those scores up so you can eventually get the prime cards! You can also PC the bestbuy to a MC. That's what I have, then you don't have to shop at bestbuy to keep it alive. Good luck!

Really? You can PC the non-MC version to a MC version?

Message 5 of 9
BUN
Established Contributor

I think it has to do with credit score, I could be wrong, but I don't see why not. That's why gardening is so important!

Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@IrishUpstart wrote:

@IrishUpstart wrote:
Last night I randomly applied for a best buy card

I'd suggest doing some reesearch and planning.  Get cards that you want/need that benefit you.  Look into cards that maximize rewards for your major spend categories.  Don't just randomly apply for cards.

@IrishUpstart wrote:
Should I leave as is for now, or is there something I should try for?

Given the age of your cards your AAoA has taken several hits and you've piled on several inquiries.  With your credit profile you should probably focus on building what you have for a bit and then think about adding more cards.  As for what you should try for you need to provide a lot more information if you want feedback.  These aren't one-size-fits-all matters.  Again, you need to find cards that suit you.

Message 7 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@BUN wrote:

jts not a good thing... The MC version of the bestbuy card is for rebuilders and rarely if ever gets CLI's. The storecard is the one you want if you want to buy more than a justin bieber cd. I have heard of the store version getting to a CL of over 20k, the MC version is lucky to see 3k if you have excellent credit and 5 years of history with best buy.  Even if you can PC it, other credit savy persons will look down on you because it also usually has a High APR and an AF.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BUN wrote:

jts not a good thing... The MC version of the bestbuy card is for rebuilders and rarely if ever gets CLI's. The storecard is the one you want if you want to buy more than a justin bieber cd. I have heard of the store version getting to a CL of over 20k, the MC version is lucky to see 3k if you have excellent credit and 5 years of history with best buy.  Even if you can PC it, other credit savy persons will look down on you because it also usually has a High APR and an AF.  

Oh ok, I wasn't aware. I have a long history with BB. I got their store CC back in the early 2000's with a $3K limit. Fast forward a couple of years and they reduced my CL dramatically, from like $3K to $600.Smiley Frustrated

Fast forward again and I have a limit of $1,100. I barely use the card...maybe once every six month sor so, so I really don't care to request a CLI. I'm not even sure if it'd be a SP or a HP. For an HP, there are other cards I'd rather take the chance of requesting a CLI on.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.