Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's ya take?!

tag
pip3man
Valued Contributor

what's ya take?!

Hey guys, I wanna know ya thoughts.

So Capital One told me I got upgrade offers available on my Venture($8000 CL) and Venture One card ($7500 CL). Basically it's to PC the Venture to the Quicksilver VS and effectively avoiding the AF which is due in July. I travel a lot so I really don't mind paying or saving it either ways, although lately the Prestige is my main card for travel. I have about 90k miles on it but they say if I proceed they're gonna convert the miles to a cash equivalent which would sum up to like $900 and some change. Every thing else on the account stays the same. And also I got a no fee QS MC that was originally a Platinum MC with a $2500 CL. Does following through with this PC sound like a good idea? I could potentially apply for another Venture in the future when I get outta the garden next year. Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: what's ya take?!

Yes, I'd say that does sound like a good deal. With the Venture, to redeem those 90,000 points you would have to spend on an airline ticket or hotel stay, but by doing that, you lose out on the 3 TY points you would get by buying the airline ticket or hotel stay through the Prestige.

By converting the points to $900 cash, you can redeem / spend it any way you want, not restricted to airline / hotel costs. Theoretically, you could charge $900 in travel cost on the Prestige, BT it over to the QS for no fee, then apply the $900 available cash to pay the travel cost bill.

Plus, if you aren't using the Venture for volume travel spend, it takes less spend to come out ahead on the QS 1.5% earnings.

Given the limits you have now, apping again for the Venture next year will likely result in a much larger limit, so you can reset both the Venture bonus and credit line.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 5
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Thanks a lot NRB, that was really helpful and detailed. I think I'll proceed with the PC. Again I appreciate your feedback!

Message 3 of 5
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

This is exactly what I did!  I started with the Venture card for the signup bonus and then converted it to the QS to avoid any fees, have more flexibility with redeeming my points, and get the Uber credit.  The transition was seamless.  All of my points transferred over to CB without any loss of value.

I actually think that after you get the signup bonus from Venture, QS actually makes a better travel card because it earns 1.5% without a fee, it has non FTF, and it has the Uber credit. 

Message 4 of 5
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@deltatee wrote:

This is exactly what I did!  I started with the Venture card for the signup bonus and then converted it to the QS to avoid any fees, have more flexibility with redeeming my points, and get the Uber credit.  The transition was seamless.  All of my points transferred over to CB without any loss of value.

I actually think that after you get the signup bonus from Venture, QS actually makes a better travel card because it earns 1.5% without a fee, it has non FTF, and it has the Uber credit. 

Thanks for sharing ya experience. Wow I never heard of the QS offering Uber credit, how does that work if u don't mind me asking? My major concern is loosing value on the thousands of points I racked up but since u confirmed everything transfers seamlessly then I think I'm good to pull the trigger. Ohh and also since u converted, have u been able to get a CLI??

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.