01-27-2013 11:20 AM
my chase slate is at $500 since I got it last year. I really haven't used it much except the last couple of months. Ive only used it to pay for some drinks at some bars that wont take amex that I go to with my friends. Since its so low I have thought about asking for a cli but im not sure how much they will bump me up. I am going to wait until I pay down my last credit card with a balance that is right at 22% utilized right now. That should be in 3 months tops. I just am not sure which way to go? Should I ask for an increase in my limit or apply for the CSP and forget about the slate and cancel it? Or should I just write chase off and continue my relationship with amex and get a BCE or BCP and just use my MC or Discover as mybackup? I worry chase will give me another low limit, but it could have neen that when I applied I got a low limit because of my high util at the time of the application? That wont be the case when I make my next move. I am just not sure what it should be? By the way, the chase slate is pretty useless since it does have that low limit and has no rewards. I know its a BT card but now i have no balances to transfer so maybe I should just close it?
01-27-2013 11:23 AM
I too , have the TOY limit with Chase. I anded up initiating a CLI and took a hard pull to have a measly $300 CLI (from 500-800)... they actually sent me a text mssg one day right after I bought a pair of shoes at Niketown to verify that I had made the purchase... whatever.....
01-27-2013 11:28 AM
Thats exactly what I dont want. A stupid increase like $300. It needs to be in the $4-5k range!
01-27-2013 11:43 AM
I say close it and app for the freedom. There is a freedom app out that has 15 months at 0% and $100 bonus. If your going to take a hard pull it might as well be worth it. Plus you should get better terms aka higher CL this time around. Just make sure your other cards are reporting any recent CLI's.
01-27-2013 11:48 AM
01-27-2013 11:48 AM
do you have anything negative on your reports? how long have you had your USAA and Discover cards?
if they're both over 6 months old and you don't have anything negative I would say you will be be a shoe in for the CSP once your utilization is below 20%
once you apply as long as you are not instant approved you can recon for a higher CL and either transfer your Slate CL over to your CSP and close it or keep it open
01-27-2013 11:51 AM - edited 01-27-2013 11:52 AM
my bad items are lates from 2007. Ive had the USAA since 2010 and my Discover since 2011. I have only a balance on the USAA which is being paid down at a good pace and of course my AMEX is reporting a balance as its my daily driver.
01-27-2013 03:55 PM - edited 01-27-2013 03:56 PM
Back in 2007 I got approved for a Slate card with a 3 digit limit. Granted, I had high util at the time, but in the past 5 years I never got an increase and didn't want to waste a HP. Late last year I apped for the Disney chase card and got a 5 digit CL. My util at the time of that app was 30%.
I say close it and then app for a card you really want once your utilization drops.
01-27-2013 09:30 PM