Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do when backdoor recons fail?

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

what to do when backdoor recons fail?

About 8 months ago, I applied for the Chase sapphire and was rejected. No reason was given and I never received a letter. I called the 800 number and ran it up the chain but I was still denied.

I just did an online chat with Capital one and was told that I was denied for a customer requested credit line increase. I was not given a reason and I asked the rep if they did a hard pull and he said they don't check the credit at all, they just review the account history.

I will mail the executive offices as others have done on this forum and I will post the results.

At some point, is it just better to give up than to keep doing recons? I'm trying to get a credit card with a higher limit.

My Experian is 662, pulled this week. It seems as though I'm still considered bad credit and/or a high risk.................

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: what to do when backdoor recons fail?

@shasta wrote:

About 8 months ago, I applied for the Chase sapphire and was rejected. No reason was given and I never received a letter. I called the 800 number and ran it up the chain but I was still denied.

I just did an online chat with Capital one and was told that I was denied for a customer requested credit line increase. I was not given a reason and I asked the rep if they did a hard pull and he said they don't check the credit at all, they just review the account history.

I will mail the executive offices as others have done on this forum and I will post the results.

At some point, is it just better to give up than to keep doing recons? I'm trying to get a credit card with a higher limit.

My Experian is 662, pulled this week. It seems as though I'm still considered bad credit and/or a high risk.................

Actually 662 is pretty decent credit score....not good not great not bad but average......

Have handle your credit well ???

Let me suggest you a few tips that would bring your fico up : 

1. Paid all your credit card bill down and using about 9% uti...
  2. Check your score here at Fico.com ( Consider real score most lender pull)
  3. Check your credit report and see if there any baddie on there ( You probably dont even know ) . Clean up all those baddie if any.
  4. Don't apply for new credit too often.
  5. Please let us know what on your credit report so we can get more details for better assit u.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

@shasta wrote:

Actually 662 is pretty decent credit score....not good not great not bad but average......

Have handle your credit well ???

Let me suggest you a few tips that would bring your fico up : 

1. Paid all your credit card bill down and using about 9% uti...
  2. Check your score here at Fico.com ( Consider real score most lender pull)
  3. Check your credit report and see if there any baddie on there ( You probably dont even know ) . Clean up all those baddie if any.
  4. Don't apply for new credit too often.
  5. Please let us know what on your credit report so we can get more details for better assit u.

I have to disagree with some of this. 662 is a mediocre score at best, and you'll want something around 700 for a decent chance at the Sapphire.

Your issue isn't with recons, it's that you need to improve your credit first. The 5 tips above are definitely a good way to start.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Usually speaking, Chase approves with scores in the 700s, no collections, no charge offs. They also like to see paid history on other accounts as well.  They approved me instantly with online apps. I applied for Chase FREEDOM first and then one year later Chase Airlines. My score was 767 for the Freedom when approved.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 8
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I have to disagree with some of this. 662 is a mediocre score at best, and you'll want something around 700 for a decent chance at the Sapphire.

Your issue isn't with recons, it's that you need to improve your credit first. The 5 tips above are definitely a good way to start.

As i said above ::

"""Actually 662 is pretty decent credit score....not good not great not bad but average......""

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@shasta wrote:

Where did you get this score?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ehh... Chase is great with recons sorta...
I had a 640 FICO and got a $5k Freedom....

But two months later, the fraud accounts were actually removed from 2/3 reports and I'm at 740'ish on EQ&EXP & 688 on TU.. Eh

You should def get util low if it isn't already...

:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 8
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

What to do when recon attempts fail?  Keep trying...and think of better reasons to tell them why they should approve you for their card.  Don't give up...you'll be fine.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.