Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do with chase

tag
squirrely2005
Contributor

what to do with chase

So my gf applied for the Chase SW card and got instant approval for 5k back in september. Her only other cards were a CareCredit that we had jointly and a capital one. Both 500 limit so it shocked us. She also had like 3 lates in like 2011 on a Victoria Secret card. She also had a $300 collection from Att that was paid about a year ago.

So that's a little background. She really wanted the CSP but we were more than happy with SW. With the changes to SW we'd like to change that maybe. I was curious last night and checked the prequal page on Chase and she's preapproved for Freedom especially because I have a Discover so 6 months out of the year we'd get 5% on gas. I'd love to have that card but we don't want to hurt our chances getting CSP.

Should we go for the freedom? She cxld her capital one when she got the SW and the CareCredit was cxld a little before that. So I'd like her to start building a collection of a couple card. Shes app'd for some stuff since the SW but nothing until Saturday she got an Old Navy card with a $200 limit. So she now has those two cards and that's all. I'd like her to get a couple more. Probably no more than 4. So would it be a good idea to go for the freedom and would we be good at getting the CSP? I don't want it to look like we're "churning" or anything. Oh and if it makes a difference we had an auto CLI to 7.5k from the 5k and we put through about 13k on the card.

Any input would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: what to do with chase

As always, don't rely on prequals.  Apply for the cards that you need/want.  We can't tell you your approval odds as we are not underwriters.

Message 2 of 13
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

I agree to only apply for the cards you want, but Freedom is a quality card with nice rewards. If I were to go by any Pre Qual site for accuracy, it would be Chase.

Message 3 of 13
squirrely2005
Contributor

Well we do want this card. I tend to ramble on when I post and I guess my only question was will they give her a hard time if she eventually goes for CSP. We'd apply for it now but are tying to not spend a whole lot right now and aren't sure we'd be able to make the spending requirement for the bonus on that one.
Are there limits to how many cards chase will give you?
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've read, Chase allows you to apply for 2 products within a six month period.

No, when you have one card with a lender, applying for a second card shouldn't ever raise a red flag. It means the potential for more interest income with them.

Plenty of people here have the Freedom/CSP combo.

Lenders are more likely to put a cap on how much credit in dollars they make available to you rather than a cap on how many products it's spread out over.

Message 5 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I've read, Chase allows you to apply for 2 products within a six month period.

No, when you have one card with a lender, applying for a second card shouldn't ever raise a red flag. It means the potential for more interest income with them.

Lenders are more likely to put a cap on how much credit in dollars they make available to you rather than a cap on how many products it's spread out over.

Where did you read this?  Completly un-true..  know many people that have gotten 5-6 chase cards within a 2 or 3 month window or even shorter.  Granted you are likely to get more AA if you do this, but nothing is set in stone.  As long as your profile can support it Chase can really care less how many cards you have with them as long as you haven't reached there internal limit $ wise with them.  

Message 6 of 13
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I think it's more likely that Chase would expect you to go for the Freedom / CSP combo than not.  Three Chase cards is no problem AT ALL.  I have 5 Chase cards.

If you are pre-qualified for a Chase product, it's basically yours for the taking.  Their pre-quals are rock solid for sure.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Where did you read this?  Completly un-true..  know many people that have gotten 5-6 chase cards within a 2 or 3 month window or even shorter.  Granted you are likely to get more AA if you do this, but nothing is set in stone.  As long as your profile can support it Chase can really care less how many cards you have with them as long as you haven't reached there internal limit $ wise with them.  

Yep. I got 4 cards in about 4-5 months. 17K total. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

And yes. Pre qual for Chase is extremely accurate if you get one. 

On on the contrary, if you don't get an offer, you can still be approved. I only got an offer for the first card. They won't give you an offer until 6 months from your last app from what I've read. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep. I got 4 cards in about 4-5 months. 17K total. 

5 in 2 months for 22.5K total here. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.