cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what was your first plastic card ever ...can you remember !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what was your first plastic card ever ...can you remember !

My first CC, I got in the summer of 1991 (after I completed my first year of college).  It was from Signet Bank (which would be now Crapital One if I still had that card).  A measly $300, 19.8% APR and a $9 annual fee.  (I ultimately ditched it a couple of years later when I responded to a pre-approval app for a GM MasterCard, which had no annual fee, a $3000 line and a variable APR of prime plus 10.4%, and to my great surprise, I got that card.)
Message Edited by MarkRabo on 10-16-2008 08:43 PM
Message 11 of 32
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Sears. They gave me a $1,250 CL. They were so good to me back then.

I miss you Sears!
Message 12 of 32
Uniqua
Established Contributor

@TangMeister wrote:
Chase $500 limit - 1989.  Fast forward to 2008, and my WaMu just became a ChaMu.  What goes around comes around.  Smiley Happy

LOL. I like that "ChaMu."

I had an auto loan through Chase. I had to bitterly fight those people. Nevertheless, I paid it off but I NEVER thought in a million years I would have to deal with them again. My WaMu just became a ChaMu!
Message 13 of 32
MattH
Senior Contributor

AMEX Green, around the time I got my BS degree in 1982 -- back then it was unheard of for students to have credit cards, one needed a documented income to get credit. A few months before graduation I got a mailing that said something like "congratulations future graduate, if you expect to get your degree this semester and have a job offer in hand you can apply now for an American Express card..."

I forget when I upgraded it to a Gold Card. They keep trying to get me to get a Platinum card but I don't travel enough for the extra perks to justify the increased annual fee.

Not long after getting the AMEX Green I got Sears and Penneys cards (which I no longer have because it's been a while since I shopped at either of those chains).  My other cards I got in the 1990s.

Message Edited by MattH on 10-16-2008 08:56 PM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 14 of 32
rubaty
Frequent Contributor

Lazarus in 1987 with a 1K limit.  At the time they were the only place in Col Oh that sold Swatch watches and that's why I got it!

Current Score: EX 772 EQ 777 TU 783 15 Jan 17
Goal Score: 815 across the board by Jan 18

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Green backed by the US Air Force.  Every member gets one but it is for TDY ONLY!

Message 16 of 32
Miner
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Green Card in 1989 when I was a freshman in College.

My first card closed by a creditor also happens to be the same one, 1.5 years latter.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 17 of 32
SherriLynn
Regular Contributor

Lerner!  Got it in 1987, think the limit was $150.  Guess it's NY & Co. now.
08/08 FICO TU649 EQ645 EX639
12/08 FICO TU665 EQ672 EX667
03/09 EQ650
App-free since 01/29/09
Message 18 of 32
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

A JCP card back in 1981 with a $300 limit. I know I didn't owe anything on it when I got divorced but I'm not sure if my ex kept it open or not.

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chevron card,1975. I don't think it had a limit, I put $600 on it one billing cycle (Air Force transfer from Ca to FL).
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.