Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what would you do?

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

A close friend of mine has a high 670 score along all three bureaus. She has outstanding debt of around 9k on one card (90% util over all cards) which is killing her in terms of monthly payments. She applied for a Citi Simplicity to BT at 0%, 12-18 mo. but was denied. Her credit isn't terrible: she has a recent 30 day on a student loan that happened in Dec 2014 (which is probably murdering her score) and another 30 day on a cc that happened in 2011. She doesn't have any other cards except a couple Comenity backed cards with low limits ~500 each. 

My question is this: does anyone think she has a shot with another 0% intro BT. any suggestions? I suggested the Citi Simp because at one time I saw she had a score in the high 700's so I assumed everything was the same. I guess I was wrong. 

@scorewatcher7,

A high score isn't enough to get approved.  Although the idea is to balance transfer the debt, it is that high util at 90% that is probably resulting in the denial. If I were in her shoes and had a little money, I'd pay the debt down somewhat and then apply, if approve I'd then balance transfer the rest.

I feel like its the recent 30 day delinquency killing the score. I know her util is high. I guess I was asking whether there's a card out there for her with 0% that she might be able to obtain. 

She's really gong to have a hard time getting a BT card with that high of utilization.  Sadly when people need one with low interest they usually aren't in the position to get approved.  While the 30 day late doesn't help that's not really what is causing her to be denied.  It's the 90% utilization.

don't reply to this post. its not supposed to be here. Smiley Wink but thank you for the advice..

Which post?

Message 11 of 19
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

A close friend of mine has a high 670 score along all three bureaus. She has outstanding debt of around 9k on one card (90% util over all cards) which is killing her in terms of monthly payments. She applied for a Citi Simplicity to BT at 0%, 12-18 mo. but was denied. Her credit isn't terrible: she has a recent 30 day on a student loan that happened in Dec 2014 (which is probably murdering her score) and another 30 day on a cc that happened in 2011. She doesn't have any other cards except a couple Comenity backed cards with low limits ~500 each. 

My question is this: does anyone think she has a shot with another 0% intro BT. any suggestions? I suggested the Citi Simp because at one time I saw she had a score in the high 700's so I assumed everything was the same. I guess I was wrong. 

@scorewatcher7,

A high score isn't enough to get approved.  Although the idea is to balance transfer the debt, it is that high util at 90% that is probably resulting in the denial. If I were in her shoes and had a little money, I'd pay the debt down somewhat and then apply, if approve I'd then balance transfer the rest.

I feel like its the recent 30 day delinquency killing the score. I know her util is high. I guess I was asking whether there's a card out there for her with 0% that she might be able to obtain. 

She's really gong to have a hard time getting a BT card with that high of utilization.  Sadly when people need one with low interest they usually aren't in the position to get approved.  While the 30 day late doesn't help that's not really what is causing her to be denied.  It's the 90% utilization.

don't reply to this post. its not supposed to be here. Smiley Wink but thank you for the advice..

Which post?

this post. I put it in 'approvals' but was informed that maybe it wasn't the right forum for approvals. I had a funny exchange with Irish80- at least, I meant for it to be funny... sometimes my sarcasm can allude people. my apologies if anyone was offended... 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@scorewatcher7,

Which post?

this post. I put it in 'approvals' but was informed that maybe it wasn't the right forum for approvals. I had a funny exchange with Irish80- at least, I meant for it to be funny... sometimes my sarcasm can allude people. my apologies if anyone was offended... 

All is good. I'm not offended.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

@scorewatcher7,

Which post?

Ah, this post.

This thread angers and confuses me. Smiley Indifferent

Message 14 of 19
happypill
Valued Contributor

I'm actually shocked that your friend has a score in the 670's with 90% utilization and a couple of 30-day lates including one very recent.  That combination seems like it would be a strong indicator of impending trouble to CC companies.  Are those official FICO, or some kind of FAKO?  Is the recent late already factored in?

Instead of a credit card, does she have an option of getting a loan from a local credit union?  I'm not sure if the underwriting would be any different, but at least they could put a face to the numbers; because the numbers seem pretty ugly.

Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

I guess the first question is, is your friend already making more than the minimum payments on the $9k outstanding? It seems unlikely that a 0% APR BT card will come riding to the rescue in the near term, so time to tighten up the budget, stop buying anything that is not necessary for the sustenance of basic living requirements, and start throwing more money at that debt to get it down to a reasonable level.

Even if a 0% BT offer were obtained, my advice in the first paragraph still stands. Need to stop spending on non-necessary things, like eating out and buying new clothes, to pay down that debt.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

With a until like hers, I could see why banks are scared to extend her credit. Try to get a loan with a low Apr or just aggressively pay down debts until her credit improves.

Message 17 of 19
yfan
Valued Contributor

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

BT is going to be hard, but can she take out a line of credit that has a smaller interest than what she's paying on her credit cards? That should free up some credit, lower utility, and hopefully also lower the minimum payment.

Message 18 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

My question is this: does anyone think she has a shot with another 0% intro BT.

Nope.  Utilization is a major rsk factor and she's not likely to get anything approved with utilization that high.  Even if she does she will get low limts and high APR's.  She needs to get it down.

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

Both the derogs and the extremely high utilization matter but even the utilization alone would easily lead to denials.  She needs to work on addressing all of those.  Hit the Rebuilding subform to see what can be done about the derogs.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.