Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats so special of amex card?

tag
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Re: whats so special of amex card?

I have an Amex, I don't know if they're special but I like their customer service and high credit line the most but I think Chase is good as well and on par with Amex in many aspects. My Amex is my oldest account so that's why I am sticking with them but it can be inconvenient since they're not accepted in as many places. Like someone said though it's not a question of being special, it's more do their product suit you? 

Message 31 of 48
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@TheOptimusMan wrote:

@Legen_dary wrote:

@H4LO wrote:

TBH. There is nothing really special about any AMEX card. It's just another Charge/Credit Card.

I find it funny that people go on about the SYNC offers... You're falling for their marketing trick. You're spending money you other wise probably wouldn't be spending. Even if the retailer is the one footing majority of the bill.

I also find it funny that people wave it as a "pretty looking card" or use it as some sort of status symbol.
I find the behavior akin to those pre-08 crash that had a $300k house and a had 2 brand new cars but only brought in $25K. As if you had some "status symbol".

It's late. I digress.

Nothing special about it. 

Actually the sync offers (for me at least) seem be at places where I already spend money.. so I view it as a benefit.

There's plenty special about AMEX.

AMEX customer service is outstanding. I've never had to call twice on an issue. I've never had to wait on hold for a representative. I've never felt like I had to fight their system to get their system to fight for me. SP CLI's. APR reduction offers w/o asking. They've really done it all for me.

As far as the Sync bashing above goes...If you're opting in for $100 back on a "Diesel" jacket purchase of $500, it's more than likely a bad buy.

However, I f@Ind $10 off on grocery purchases of 75 or more, spend 5 get 5 off on Starbucks/DD, Spend 30 get 5$ off @ BP, along w/ constant pet supply offers and many more; are already part of my monthly spend. When you add into the equation the cashback %'s on these purchases you are getting on top of the money off, this takes AMEX from good value to superb value.

If snazzy offers on things you don't need affect your purchasing, I recommend you cut your cards now.

Can someone maybe explain to me about the red line for me? I didn't understand how that rewards work?? and what amex card (or all of them) has this type of pretty much (i would call) "gift card" rewards.

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 32 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Christina_xyt wrote:

AMEX customer service is outstanding. I've never had to call twice on an issue. I've never had to wait on hold for a representative. I've never felt like I had to fight their system to get their system to fight for me. SP CLI's. APR reduction offers w/o asking. They've really done it all for me.

As far as the Sync bashing above goes...If you're opting in for $100 back on a "Diesel" jacket purchase of $500, it's more than likely a bad buy.

However, I find $10 off on grocery purchases of 75 or more, spend 5 get 5 off on Starbucks/DD, Spend 30 get 5$ off @ BP, along w/ constant pet supply offers and many more; are already part of my monthly spend. When you add into the equation the cashback %'s on these purchases you are getting on top of the money off, this takes AMEX from good value to superb value.

If snazzy offers on things you don't need affect your purchasing, I recommend you cut your cards now.

Can someone maybe explain to me about the red line for me? I didn't understand how that rewards work?? and what amex card (or all of them) has this type of pretty much (i would call) "gift card" rewards.

These are the sync offers being referred to.   On most Amex cards, once you have had it a while, you get a list of one-time or time-limited offers, such as get $5 off a BP purchase of $30 or more.   Using tabbed browsing, you can get these on each of your Amex, and via twitter and other social media, you can sometimes get them added even if they don't show in your account (and can be added to Amex network cards, like Fidelity Amex).

ETA: Whether none, some or all are of value really varies between people, hence the divergence of views expressed in this thread.   Even ones that look generally useful, such as BP example, aren't valuable if you don't have a car or don't have a BP station near you.  Others are more like save $50 off $700 at some less common place, which is great only if you planned to do that.

Message 33 of 48
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

These are the sync offers being referred to.   On most Amex cards, once you have had it a while, you get a list of one-time or time-limited offers, such as get $5 off a BP purchase of $30 or more.   Using tabbed browsing, you can get these on each of your Amex, and via twitter and other social media, you can sometimes get them added even if they don't show in your account (and can be added to Amex network cards, like Fidelity Amex).

ETA: Whether none, some or all are of value really varies between people, hence the divergence of views expressed in this thread.   Even ones that look generally useful, such as BP example, aren't valuable if you don't have a car or don't have a BP station near you.  Others are more like save $50 off $700 at some less common place, which is great only if you planned to do that.

Hmmm.. this is getting interested.. so even fidelity amex can have some type of sync offers ( i actually have no idea what sync stands for.. >.<) ? so i should go on Twittter to find it? how to find more rewards.. i saw $$$$$$$ Smiley Very Happy

Message 34 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Sync is just Amex's term, where you sync the offer to your card (a.k.a. "adding") by pressing a button.

For facebook, go to https://apps.facebook.com/amexlinklikelove/

Message 35 of 48
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Every Christmas they run a $25 cash back deal on $75 Amazon gift cards and it's usually eligible regardless of the lender as long as it's on Amex network.  The credit posts quick too.

I'm probably a nobody to Amex, so I've never found their Customer Service to be something worth writing home about.  I wish they could get rid of that stupid 5 second beep on EVERY call, I get it they record everything but it's annoying as he!!.

Message 36 of 48
CarnegieS
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

However, I f@Ind $10 off on grocery purchases of 75 or more, spend 5 get 5 off on Starbucks/DD, Spend 30 get 5$ off @ BP, along w/ constant pet supply offers and many more; are already part of my monthly spend. When you add into the equation the cashback %'s on these purchases you are getting on top of the money off, this takes AMEX from good value to superb value.

Wow this is good info! I plan to connect it with my twitter tomorrow to take advantage of that $5 BP offer they have out there!

How would I go about getting this added to my mothers fidelity amex card? Would I just make a 2nd facebook profile and head over to the facebook page? Also can you explain what you meant by tabbed browsing? Seems like I might be taught something quite useful today! 

Amex Delta Gold: $5400| BofA Better Balance: $1500 | Sallie Mae: $1300 | Discover It: $500
719 TU, 685 EQ, 728 Ex.
Entered the garden : 5/8/14
Message 37 of 48
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

what is bp?????

Message 38 of 48
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

what is bp?????

I am assuming its british petroleum as in the gas station

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 39 of 48
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

what is bp?????

I am assuming its british petroleum as in the gas station

meh.. i don't even have this gas station near me...

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.