Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats the average APR for travel cards?

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

whats the average APR for travel cards?

I have an Alaska Air siggy, wondering what the average apr is on these types of cards with average rewards? Mine is at 12.5% and 13.24% for BT's. Just wondering if it would be worth it to try and call in for a little lower % on purchases.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: whats the average APR for travel cards?

That's pretty much par for the course on rewards cards with solid credit. 

Message 2 of 6
solxp
Contributor

Most reward type cards tend to carry higher APR then vanilla cards. Co-branded cards tend to be in between with APRs. Having in some cases some of the highest rates around to rates a low as 9.99. While it is not impossible to get a great rate on a Reward or Co-branded card its probably unlikely to get below 9.99 for most people right now. 12.5% is below the median for most travel based cards. 15-17 is probably the standard rate for these type cards. Again everyone's situation is different I am just using averages.

The bottom line is it is ALWAYS worth it to ask for a lower APR they can only say no. Just make sure you find out if it will be a hard or soft pull before going ahead with the request. 

Message 3 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

That's in the bottom range for rewards credit cards. You can try to negotiate for a lower APR but I doubt the reduction would be significant. 

Message 4 of 6
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

APR shouldn't matter with rewards cards since if you ever carry a balance, the value of the rewards you get will be eclipsed by the interest paid.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 6
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

15.24 for Chase products.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.