tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: when do CCs report to the CRAs

Message 11 of 26
BGMWPD320
Regular Contributor

Thanks Cheddar!  I hope they report....well change that late sooner than later.
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

oracles wrote:
thanks pyschic

oracles-

You're welcome!

I just deleted my message because you and cheddar had a discussion about this while I was busy typing!
Message 13 of 26
GFer
Valued Contributor

My two HSBC cards haven't updated since March!@X!*&^

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 26
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

FWIW, with my Amex experience, it is true that they report the statement balance one month behind.

To add to that, they seem to update to the CRAs around the end of the month for me.

My Blue statement cuts around the 12th. So say June 12th was this past statement. Sometime around August 1 is when I'll see the update from June 12 on my CRs.
Here we go again...
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

FretlessMayhem wrote:
FWIW, with my Amex experience, it is true that they report the statement balance one month behind.

To add to that, they seem to update to the CRAs around the end of the month for me.

My Blue statement cuts around the 12th. So say June 12th was this past statement. Sometime around August 1 is when I'll see the update from June 12 on my CRs.

Ditto for me.  Except that my statement date is around the 3rd, and they report the 29th of each month for me like clockwork.  On the 29th of each month, they always report the balance from the statement that was generated on the 3rd of that month.

Message 16 of 26
oracles
Valued Contributor

good to know these things, especially if you are going for a low util
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

oracles wrote:

Yes, but remember that with any card, the way to control the balance that is reported is not to worry about which day it actually reports, but to know which date's balance will be reported.  That is the balance you want to target.

With Amex, for example, it doesn't really matter that they report on the 29th for me.  In order to control the balance that will (eventually) be reported, I need to make sure that the balance on the 3rd is under control.  It doesn't matter what the balance is on the 29th.

Make sense?

Message 18 of 26
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@oracles wrote:

Yes, but remember that with any card, the way to control the balance that is reported is not to worry about which day it actually reports, but to know which date's balance will be reported. That is the balance you want to target.

With Amex, for example, it doesn't really matter that they report on the 29th for me. In order to control the balance that will (eventually) be reported, I need to make sure that the balance on the 3rd is under control. It doesn't matter what the balance is on the 29th.

Make sense?

Now that you mention it, I think it may happen on the 29th for me as well. It's somewhere right around there.

And yes, managing balance reporting with Amex can get quite hairy at times. I have a couple revolvers, but I try to use the Gold normally so I don't have to worry about it.

It's probably adding a year or two to my life by not have to stress over at least one thing involving Amex.
Here we go again...
Message 19 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Now that AmEx is finally reporting, I find that my statements drop on the 18th, and they update, reporting that balance, on the following 14th. That's 4 days before the next statement comes out.

A 4-5 day gap seems to match many of the other posts I saw here, so maybe that's the underlying pattern.

And although HSBC updates at the end of the month for most, I think that might be on their bank cards (Visa, MC, etc.) I have a straight Best Buy store card (no MC on it), and it reports faithfully on the 19th of the month, which is the day of the month that I surprised myself getting it.

BTW, for all those pulling their hair out, trying to figure out statement dates and who does what on which dates and how much and how reliably during which phase of the moon, this is EXACTLY why so many of us have credit monitoring services!

TrueCredit displays the reporting date as MM/DD/YYYY for TU and EX, although only MM/YYYY for EQ, so it's very easy to see when they usually report, and equally as important, when the CRA's put down their doughnut and coffee, fire up their desktop, and get around to posting your info.

I use TrueCredit, and I'm familiar with it, so I don't know which other services (CreditSecure, etc.) also show the full MM/DD/YYYY. No one will show this for EQ; even they don't show the day. (I think this is why EQ gets blank boxes instead of green squares on TC --that's my guess, anyway.) But if you can pull as often as daily, even if they don't display the full date, faithful daily pulling will help you find out.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.