Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when should I apply for freedom? Update... I applied

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

when should I apply for freedom? Update... I applied

The chase freedom is the last card I want to add, then cut up my secured PNC card lol My current cards are listed below, although kay and WM not reporting yet.

My TU score is 674 and in MI i see they are heavy TU pullers. I dont want to add anymore cards after this, so tell me if this plan I have is best.

Im eligible for a CLI in November with charter one, from what I can tell it should happen (never know) anyways, I was going to wait until april 13 to get it, expecting my scores in the 680 range and up. Also by april I will have one CC for over a year and 3 over 6 months history. All good.  Then I wanted to add my final card... freedom.

What does freedom want to see in your report? I have 2 COs Edit: BOTH PAID, one from 2008 and one from 2009. coming up on 4 years of nothing negative. No CAs, No PRs. 2 Student loans with 6&7 year history no lates. and the CCs below, no lates.

What do you think my chances will be in april?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: when should I apply for freedom?

How important is a high CL to you?  If you apply now you would most likely be approved, but given your current CL's on major credit cards I doubt they would give you more than 1k, which sucks since CLI are almost always HP, which makes it painful to grow a good CL with such a low starting point. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 27
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

honestly, I would only be putting around 1k on it per month. I dont have many bills/expenses. I would just want the ability to grow overtime. Thats all. For example, I stay away from cap one because I will just cut it later. I want cards that will grow with me/provide value.

EDIT: to add info, my cc util is at 26% and both COs are paid.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 27
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

How important is a high CL to you?  If you apply now you would most likely be approved, but given your current CL's on major credit cards I doubt they would give you more than 1k, which sucks since CLI are almost always HP, which makes it painful to grow a good CL with such a low starting point. 

Well, when you said Id most likely be approved I went for it Smiley Happy lol I got the "we need to review, will get letter 7-10 days blah blah... so I was probably declined. When I call to check the app status it doesnt say declined yet, but can I still call recon? Ive never done that before so I dont know how it works, but I can call the credit analyst number listed here and ask if theyll talk to me. Or do I wait until the status says declined?

Message 4 of 27
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

Well, when you said Id most likely be approved I went for it Smiley Happy lol I got the "we need to review, will get letter 7-10 days blah blah... so I was probably declined. When I call to check the app status it doesnt say declined yet, but can I still call recon? Ive never done that before so I dont know how it works, but I can call the credit analyst number listed here and ask if theyll talk to me. Or do I wait until the status says declined?

call the backdoor number lister here.... they'll be able to tell you if you were approved or denied... sometimes, they just need to verify some info.. good luck!

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 5 of 27
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

declined on recon Smiley Sad said everything looked great and Im doing everything right, they just want to see more history with CCs.

It was worth a shot and the good news is she said when I get to a year or so with my charter one that I should be all set. No worries though, My inqs are low and I dont need credit just wanting to start a nice file and get out of toy limits

Message 6 of 27
CS800
Super Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

declined on recon Smiley Sad said everything looked great and Im doing everything right, they just want to see more history with CCs.

It was worth a shot and the good news is she said when I get to a year or so with my charter one that I should be all set. No worries though, My inqs are low and I dont need credit just wanting to start a nice file and get out of toy limits

I would try the executive office recon.

You know what they say with recons? If at first it fails, try calling again. A different credit analyst might think differently.

Message 7 of 27
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

i think you should give it another shot and call again.... diff people, diff answers.... you already took the inquiry...

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 8 of 27
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@kobe2012 wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

i think you should give it another shot and call again.... diff people, diff answers.... you already took the inquiry...

+1  

some here have had to call 3 or 4 times to get an approval. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 27
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

oh wow thanks guys I will...

When I called to check the status the first time they said I was declined, then I called the recon number and they said "yes, mr. jc... I see we just spoke with you" lol

When I call this time, will they care that Im calling again or should I just say I want to recon the recon lol

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.