Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when should I spree?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

when should I spree?

So, my score will be seeing a dramatic increase as soon as the payments I made yesterday reflect and are reported.

My question is, with all of your knowledge around CCs, when should I go on my app spree? Myfico sim says my score will be 666-706 (TU) and 636-666 (EQ) <-- Also have a judgment being deleted from EQ that has already been removed from EX and TU, thats why its so much lower than the others.

My file looks like this:

Discover card CO: 2005 paid

Key Bank SL CO: 2005 paid

2 mohela student loans:2005 No lates past 2 years, 7 before that on both loans making 14 total (these were defermentsI didnt know would count as lates)

Charter One CC: 01/2012 never late $30 balance

PNC secured: 06/12 $0 balance never late.

NO CAs

No Judgments (as of 8/30 when it falls of EQ)

How much should these cards age? I want to start building a thick file and get the ball rolling now that I've brought my score up.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: when should I spree?

1 year and even then, I'm not sure you will be ready for a traditional "app spree"

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 5
android01
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

1 year and even then, I'm not sure you will be ready for a traditional "app spree"

Agreed.  Having any types of baddies and scores under 700 will only limit decent CL's with decent APR's.  Wait until your scores are above 720, and when that happens, do not blindly apply for anything that will approve you.  Be strategic.  Be selective.  It's the only way to building a good credit history and getting what you want out of credit.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 3 of 5
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

Agreed.  Having any types of baddies and scores under 700 will only limit decent CL's with decent APR's.  Wait until your scores are above 720, and when that happens, do not blindly apply for anything that will approve you.  Be strategic.  Be selective.  It's the only way to building a good credit history and getting what you want out of credit.  

sounds good. I'll wait till the negatives are gone. Thanks guys!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 4 of 5
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Should I even bother with a jewelers card? I wanted one to A. help finance my gfs ring (I dont need it to buy the ring though) and B. have for special occassions i.e. anniversary, birthdays, etc.

If I apply and say Im only approved for $500, can I reject it so it doesnt add another account to my credit file. If its 1k or more id gladly take it, but I dont know if I should even bother with a jewelry store card now?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.