Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where can I find a good 0%?

tag
jgodfrey82
Regular Contributor

where can I find a good 0%?

So I am caught in horrible timing right now.. just a few days ago I was still excited about new accounts with plenty of CL at nfcu. Then last night I came to realize I need a new roof on my house, 8-10k and the insurance companies here in Florida are going to keep raising rates until its done. Up $1100 for my December renewal.

I could put it on my new nfcu plat or write a navcheck.. but it will take at least a year or possibly two to pay off and those are at 12.9 and 15.9, too high to carry the balance that long.

I am in the 700's with 3yr8m aaoa and 20% util but up to 8 inq per. I dont have any cards at 0%. Should I app for a 0% card? Should I talk to nfcu for a heloc? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the interest? Anyone know other options? Maybe home depot? I heard their roof prices were high, but maybe their financing offsets?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I will be saving 1000 or more a year in insurance by doing the job, I just didn't want to go through all the doc requirements of a heloc since I am self employed.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: where can I find a good 0%?

Lowes has a 5.99% for 7 years if your purchase is over I think 3500. You have to ask for that.

Otherwise the are several cards that have like 15 months. Amex Blue Cash was one.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 2 of 24
jgodfrey82
Regular Contributor

I wonder how lowes roofing contractors are.. thank you will look into it.
Message 3 of 24
enharu
Super Contributor

@jgodfrey82 wrote:
So I am caught in horrible timing right now.. just a few days ago I was still excited about new accounts with plenty of CL at nfcu. Then last night I came to realize I need a new roof on my house, 8-10k and the insurance companies here in Florida are going to keep raising rates until its done. Up $1100 for my December renewal.

I could put it on my new nfcu plat or write a navcheck.. but it will take at least a year or possibly two to pay off and those are at 12.9 and 15.9, too high to carry the balance that long.

I am in the 700's with 3yr8m aaoa and 20% util but up to 8 inq per. I dont have any cards at 0%. Should I app for a 0% card? Should I talk to nfcu for a heloc? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the interest? Anyone know other options? Maybe home depot? I heard their roof prices were high, but maybe their financing offsets?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I will be saving 1000 or more a year in insurance by doing the job, I just didn't want to go through all the doc requirements of a heloc since I am self employed.

What is your average CL and income?

You could check out stores that offer financing (such as those backed by GE), or you can apply for a credit card with a 0% promo outright. However, you may not get the CL you want. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 24
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Oh you know what else? If you wait until a holiday both hd and lowes run 18 to 24 months 0 percent. But the downside to those is of course if you don't pay off in time you get Back interest. A major issuer would just revert to the normal rate.

I think chase has 0% for like 15 months too when I checked the freedom and slate.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 5 of 24
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

You're welcome. Hubby works at lowes and said they do offer roof installation. We had them install a fence on the 7 year offer and are happy. I wanted more time to pay it off. Ge is also very generous with credit limits. I was able to get 7500 when I first got the card by calling back door. They are my highest card. Before that it was 5000 with my credit union.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 6 of 24
jgodfrey82
Regular Contributor

My avg CL is probably 5k, a couple 6k, a 20k, 15k navcheck.. . I think 0 for 18 or 24 mths would work great. I just heard getting a roof done from a retail store really raises the price. I have a couple quotes coming in, so I will just have to compare. I could always use the 0% up then write a navcheck when I get down to it if there is still a balance to avoid back interest. Thank you.
Message 7 of 24
jgodfrey82
Regular Contributor

GE has a regluar visa or mc with 0% or they back lowes and HD? I have several GE backed accounts and always been happy. . Paypal sc, carcare and carecredit
Message 8 of 24
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Ge backs lowes.

I don't know about roofs.. but we had 4 bids for the fence and lowes was the most competitive even before Hubby's discount.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 9 of 24
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Hd is backed by citi. I have them too for 7k (but don't tell lowes we sometimes shop at hd lol)

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.