Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to start??

tag
sunnie_321
New Contributor

where to start??

I am looking to add some cards to my wallet to increase my credit scores. My current scores are 615 eq 626 Tu and 641 exp.  These are all lender pulled scores. Other information that might be helpful:

Current cards:

Macys - $200 limit

Best Buy Master card  $750 limit

I have one auto loan that has $325 left on it and I had a bankruptcy in 2002 that will fall off my report in September.  I also just closed on a house within the last few weeks.  Which credit cards should I apply for? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

Re: where to start??

IMHO

Wait to apply for more credit until the BK ages off your CR (this will also allow time for your mortgage payments to begin factoring into your FICO scores). Once you have verified the BK has fallen off, check your FICO scores again. If you think you'll qualify, apply for one credit card from a "national" bank or major credit card lender (i.e., AmEx, Capital One, Discover, Wells Fargo, BofA -- I prefer AmEx). The FICO algorithm gives more weight to these cards than those from say credit unions because they are typically harder to qualify for. If you feel you need more than one, wait for one year before opening the next.

As an aside, note that your auto (installment) loan has been helping your scores recover. Once you pay it off, it will only add benefit to your scores for the next 1-2 years. Not a reason to get another loan immediatly, but you might consider refinancing it or taking out a small personal loan (in about 12 months after you open the revolving credit card account).

Message 2 of 11
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

i would def wait until after the bk falls off the reports. whats your aaoa?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 11
sunnie_321
New Contributor

Im not sure exactly what aaoa means but if it means average age of account, its 5 years..

Message 4 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

it is average age of accounts, so you're right Smiley Very Happy 

Message 5 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Like others have said, wait for BK to come off. Then go for AMEX or another prime card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 11
sunnie_321
New Contributor

will Amex approve with scores so low?

Message 7 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

They will once BK falls off and your scores increase nicely Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 11
sunnie_321
New Contributor

ah gotcha.. i was not aware that my score would increase when the bankruptcy falls off, i thought it no longer effected my score since it was so long ago!  good things to look forward to then!

Message 9 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

It should increase, no guaranteed amount but hopefully it gets your EX FICO to 660 or above.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.