cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which card to use for amazon purchases.

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: which card to use for amazon purchases.

The BCE gives rewards on groceries, and 2% on gas and select department stores.  IMO, gas and grocery purchases rarely benefit from protections, Amex or otherwise.  On these Sallie Mae rewards win.

I guess some department store purchases will be valuable, but if you buy enough, the BCP is a better choice.

So again, a good combo is Sallie Mae for the grocery and gas rewards (and Amazon), ED for purchases that need protection (and as a supplement on groceries if desired).   Basically CB may be preferred, but the point is with the BCE you get very little of that!

Message 51 of 80
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

But, IMO, unlike the BCE, there is a place for the BCP.   Just maybe not such a big place!

I personally think even BCE has a place when compared to Sallie Mae. Yes reward wise Sallie Mae has the upper hand, but AMEX has superior customer service and purchase protection (which since I got the card in 2011 had invoke twice).

For AMEX, its purchase protection is managed by themselves. You can file the claim online and will usually have the decision by the next day. Refund happens 3 business days after that.

On the other hand Visa and MC do not handle purchase protection. Instead card issuer hires third party issurance company to handle the claim. These companies will find every possible way to deny your claim. Also claim needs to be mailed in, so turnaround time is significantly longer. 

I also had subpar customer service with Barclay so far. You can head over to Barclaycard Travel Community and find a post written by me detailing the experience.

My argument is Sallie Mae for the rewards, Amex Everyday for the Amex protection when needed, plus the ED has the capacity to grow into a full-fledged travel card if and when you want to do that.

So I agree there is a place for an Amex card, just saying that the BCE isn't that card!

And How isn't it? If a person has zero value in MR points then those points are less then 1% back on purchases. CB is King for some people and probably the majority of the average joes who don't visit this forum. Now lets say you want CB and an Amex but pay no AF. The BCE is a great card if you require an AMEX card and want all the perks that come with having an Amex card.  Remember Costco only takes Amex credit cards and maybe doesn't want or havent heard of the Costco TE card.

To me, it's just facts that are being discussed. BCE is an all around inferior card to the other cards on the market. There are cards that trump it in almost every single way. 

I am keeping the converted BCE from BCP as an emergency card :-) My goto cards right now are CSP and QS till i accquire new cards like that elusive PRG lol.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 52 of 80
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

The BCE gives rewards on groceries, and 2% on gas and select department stores.  IMO, gas and grocery purchases rarely benefit from protections, Amex or otherwise.  On these Sallie Mae rewards win.

I guess some department store purchases will be valuable, but if you buy enough, the BCP is a better choice.

So again, a good combo is Sallie Mae for the grocery and gas rewards (and Amazon), ED for purchases that need protection (and as a supplement on groceries if desired).   Basically CB may be preferred, but the point is with the BCE you get very little of that!

My setup will probably similar to that. I am thinking EDP/SM for gas and groceries depending on if i want CB or MR points. Then have QS or fid amex as my everyday card not covered by categories. I know its pretty simplistic , but that should colver almost all purchases i need to do. 

Message 53 of 80
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:
Call me crazy but I just use my Amazon Store Card...has plenty limit and promo for 0% most of the time. If I don't get the 0% promo then the order was small enough to just PIF anyways. Several items are on "Amazon Subscription" so I'm already getting 20% off anyways and free 2-day shipping with Prime.

You're crazy.

Thanks, and I'm not sure if they're doing it but I was getting 5% cashback (statement credit) wth that promo Amazon was/is offering not too long ago. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 54 of 80
H14
Contributor

I use the Citi Forward. 5x points per dollar, and planning to get the Prestige late next year which will mean 1.6 cents per point redemption value on American Airlines.

Message 55 of 80
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@H14 wrote:

I use the Citi Forward. 5x points per dollar, and planning to get the Prestige late next year which will mean 1.6 cents per point redemption value on American Airlines.

There are rumors (and denials!) that the Forward will end in October.  Hope not.

Message 56 of 80
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@H14 wrote:

There are rumors (and denials!) that the Forward will end in October.  Hope not.

i really need to get an 5% Amazon card, running to supermarkets to buy amazon gc is kind of annoying lol. 

Message 57 of 80
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

i really need to get an 5% Amazon card, running to supermarkets to buy amazon gc is kind of annoying lol. 

Unless you are lucky enough to get an offer for 5% CB on Amazon store card, GC shopping is the only way to go for 5% return. Apps to Forward was long dead.

Message 58 of 80
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Unless you are lucky enough to get an offer for 5% CB on Amazon store card, GC shopping is the only way to go for 5% return. Apps to Forward was long dead.

I don't do an ton of amazon shopping so SM could be good enough for me. 750 an month seems like an lot. Going to wait till october probably to app if i do:-)

Message 59 of 80
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Well, Sallie Mae is pretty good for 5%, and Cash Plus as well.   But both are capped, unlike the Forward.

Message 60 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.