Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which cards to get?

tag
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

which cards to get?

Ok my brother has been working on his credit and on Transunion he got a 752 and Experian its about 740. Still working on Equifax its only 648 but only one baddie trying to have removed. He has thre AU account Amex (15K) only 2 months old, Chase (10k) 4 months old and USAA Secured ($250) 7 months old. He also has a paypal master card with a $300 limit. Can he get a CSP or a Venture? What else mite he qualify for. Cant use preapproval site because he has fraud alerts on all 3 bureaus. He has 1 inquiry on TU, 2 on EX and 2 in the last 6 months on EQ. Just need some advice.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: which cards to get?

@tbea1004 wrote:

Ok my brother has been working on his credit and on Transunion he got a 752 and Experian its about 740. Still working on Equifax its only 648 but only one baddie trying to have removed. He has thre AU account Amex (15K) only 2 months old, Chase (10k) 4 months old and USAA Secured ($250) 7 months old. He also has a paypal master card with a $300 limit. Can he get a CSP or a Venture? What else mite he qualify for. Cant use preapproval site because he has fraud alerts on all 3 bureaus. He has 1 inquiry on TU, 2 on EX and 2 in the last 6 months on EQ. Just need some advice.

His age of accounts is a bit low.

That'd be my only concern with prime lenders.

Scores look decent for Chase cards. If he can spare the EX inquiry, he's good to try. The current Chase account will help him. At the worst, he can ask to redistribute his current $10k limit to get two $5k limit cards. 

CapOne will definitely pull Venture, and the baddie is a cause for concern. I'm not a big fan of the triple pull. 

Try the BoA Merrill+ as well. Very good bonus for no annual fee. 

Discover is another good choice but it sometimes pulls EQ, and generally wants a short but clean file. 

Good luck. 

Message 2 of 6
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@tbea1004 wrote:

His age of accounts is a bit low.

That'd be my only concern with prime lenders.

Scores look decent for Chase cards. If he can spare the EX inquiry, he's good to try. The current Chase account will help him. At the worst, he can ask to redistribute his current $10k limit to get two $5k limit cards. 

CapOne will definitely pull Venture, and the baddie is a cause for concern. I'm not a big fan of the triple pull. 

Try the BoA Merrill+ as well. Very good bonus for no annual fee. 

Discover is another good choice but it sometimes pulls EQ, and generally wants a short but clean file. 

Good luck. 

The Chase account is not his, he is just an AU on the account. The only account that he is the primary on is the Paypal Mastercard. I guest he will have to try and see.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any reason he specifically wants a CSP/Venture? With Chase, I believe they prefer to see at least another $5k credit line in their name (not as an AU) before they're willing to grant you a CSP (although I've seen people recon with lower credit lines get approved). He should have no problem getting a Freedom/Freedom unlimited though. He can always try to apply for one though and if it's a denial he can try recon, but YMMV. Why not try one of the Freedom's, or CO's Quicksilver? There's also Citi's Double Cash.

Message 4 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

As other posts imply, it makes sense to avoid pulling EQ if at all possible.

How old is the PayPal Mastercard?

I think his history is a little young and thin for Chase. Someone should confirm, but if I remember correctly, they tend to disregard AUs. A couple of cards with one being a year old would put him in a better position for their cards. At that point, the main thing I'd be concerned about is that Chase could pull any two of the three bureaus. But maybe the baddie would be cleaned up by then.

I don't know anything about the fraud aspect. Maybe someone could chime in on how fraud alerts affect applications.

If it weren't for the EQ baddie, I'd suggest a Capital One Quicksilver card. But despite the baddie, I think Capital One's Platinum card would be a safe bet. I suggest that rather than their QuicksilverOne card because the Platinum tends to be easier to product-change into a nice Quicksilver card after a few months of history.

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@tbea1004 wrote:

1. I think he should wait until the fraud alerts are gone.

2. No I don't think he would get the CSP or Venture at this point.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.