Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which credit card to apply for

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

which credit card to apply for

I have posted  here several times lately (exp 616). You guys have talked me into getting a credit card. I have swore these off for the last 8 years or so.  I'm now discouraged because I applied for a CHASE gas card offerd on this myfico web site. The electronic message was that I will be contacted in the next 3 days or something like that. I know what that means. They have denied me and are scared to tell be up front.

What is out there that I can have a good chance of getting?  I basically what to put my gas on it and pay the balance to zero every month. Actually make payments twice a month if allowed.
Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: which credit card to apply for

I can't believe it.  Capital One gave me a card.   YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

300.00 limit.  Increase in limit after 3 timely minimum payments.  No interest until Febuary 2009.Smiley Very Happy

All this in the middle of a credit crisis.

Message 11 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not necessarily back in Feb when I applied Chase I got the 7-10 day message and card was in my mailbox in under a week.
Message 2 of 21
cw81
Frequent Contributor

Nocreditcard,

You have to have a plan  and  know your creditors,  what I am saying is just don't apply for any credit card because you want a  card.  Research the creditor  and see if they fit into your lifestyle etc also  your scores are a big determining factor  as to which cards you will get.   616  score  might not get you  a prime card like  Chase,  BofA,  Discover , Citi etc.    

There is a website called whogavemecredit.com   you can search the database and it will give you an idea of what you can apply for with your  scores.  Bear in mind   that  the fact that  someone got approved with lower scores doesn't mean you will.  I don't think  you should get discouraged  credit is a tool and should be viewed as such.  It would benefit you to read the  boards   extensively  and ask specific questions  and you will get  answers and direction  to move in.

hth
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capitol One has a really good gas rewards card for those with average or limited credit. I'd start there. Just go look at their cards for average/limited credit and pick one to try for. Hopefully you have no issues with Cap One and this works for you. If you have no cards @ all, then maybe try for BOA secured card. If you don't feel you can handle a credit card @ this point, you should probably just not get one and wait until things are different for you.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 09-28-2008 04:08 PM
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

try Financial Globe score match site. you enter your scores and it will list what is available based on your score.  they are just suggestions but at least it will give you an idea of score requirements per cc

nocreditcard wrote:
I have posted  here several times lately (exp 616). You guys have talked me into getting a credit card. I have swore these off for the last 8 years or so.  I'm now discouraged because I applied for a CHASE gas card offerd on this myfico web site. The electronic message was that I will be contacted in the next 3 days or something like that. I know what that means. They have denied me and are scared to tell be up front.

What is out there that I can have a good chance of getting?  I basically what to put my gas on it and pay the balance to zero every month. Actually make payments twice a month if allowed.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, maybe its the credit crisis and my bad timing for applying. But my EQUifax 616 got me turned down at Chase, HSBC, premier.

I applied for a gas card for Casey's and they turned me down.

Talked to April at MNB and she thought that a gas card (texico) would be a good choise to try. Only thing is there are no Texico stations in the Carthage, joplin MO. area.

What next.  Please help.

Message 6 of 21
TerrenceATL
Contributor

I would go for hooters card if your TU score is anywhere close to your EQ score. They will pull TU. They are much better than capital one. Just go through this board and read of all the capital one horror stories. Stay away from Capital one if you can but if hooters doesn't approve you which they should, capital one may be your only choice left. Also join a credit union and apply with them. They are easier to get in with and they normally pull EQ.
Message Edited by TerrenceATL on 10-09-2008 10:44 AM
6/1/2008 EQ -634
9/12/08 EX 691 * TU 689
10/02/08 EQ 677
11/11/08 TU 669 * EQ 668
1/15/09 EX 759 * EQ 788
9/24/09 EQ 761 * EX 729 (from NFCU loan app) * TU 666
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about the All-Access Visa Prepaid Card
issued by MetaBank. Does anyone know if this one reports to the credit agencies?

Will this kind of card help my credit? 

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if my new refinance with 2 months payment and 1 made payment on a new car loan is hurting my chances.  Should I try the wal-mart or should I wait?
Message 9 of 21
wmarat
Valued Contributor

A prepaid card is not reported to CRA's (if in good standing).

Have you checked out your local credit union?

Good luck.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.