Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which one to use

tag
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

which one to use

Chase freedom and Discover it both carry 5% gas Cards which i will  use during those bonus cycles
Then in between I'm thinking of using BofA cash rewards for supermarkets since they have 3%
Unless freedom or discover have the supermarket 5% bonus

My estimate usage goes like this supermarket maybe 300 a month gas maybe 100 monthly

and pay bills monthly for reward advantages and rotate the other small purchases that falls under the 1%

Right now my Discover IT balance is about 1000 and i'm going to knock it down
Bofa Cash back 560 balance
Chase freedom balance 30.00

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JohnWillyson

Re: which one to use

Personally, I prefer chase UR so thats what I would do.

Also (and I recommend this a lot it seems) look at the Sallie Mae Mastercard from Barclays, its 5% on gas and groceries AND bookstores (amazon) but the limits are a little low, however it would give you a better return than your BOA card.

Seedling Garden Club Member - Last App: 07/27/2013 - No apps until 2014

Aoccdrnig to a rscheeachr at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Message 2 of 7
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the gardening mode now that i already applied and received 4 out of 5 cards this month
so I am going to have work with what i have now Smiley Happy

i already figured that once i get the bofa better balance rewards I will use it to pay for my parent's cable bill and pay it off
and try to rotate usage on the other 3 cards maybe alittle less on the freedom since the CL between the cash reward and IT card is low

and as for capital one I just piles up dust and buy a pack of cigerettes once in a while

Message 3 of 7
JohnWillyson

So seems like you have it all figured out Smiley Happy

Like I said, Chase UR are very flexible and dont expire, so if you ever see yourself traveling in the future and signing up for say the Sapphire Preferred, you can consolidate all your points and transfer 1:1 to airlines for an amazing value!

Or just use them for statement credit. I would definitely max the Freedom over the IT for this quarter.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheeachr at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Message 4 of 7
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

I"m assuming BofA Cash reward card is least favorite card from  the pick of freedom and discover IT?
and will fall behind even capital one quicksilver??

hmm maybe i should SD the cash reward Bofa card

going ot have to use chase freedom for the next cycle since i'm already ahead with discover already Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 7
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I have never had a Discover but I have been a Chase customer for years. They have never treated me unfairly and have always done their best to get me what I wanted. I am also pleased to say that everything I have asked for over the years was given to me in one capacity or another. I think it helps that I have had a checking/savings/investments with them for years. 

Message 6 of 7
JohnWillyson

I am not saying not to use your BOA card, use it for the 3 and 2%s when not covered by a 5%. Just for the 1% transactions I personally would use the freedom.

Theres nothing wrong with the BOA card, its just not stand out in my opinion.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.