cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who doesn't love free money and discover?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: who doesn't love free money and discover?

@Anonymous wrote:
It probably won't be detected nor reversed. Sometimes things just happen. And when they do I say enjoy it. Congrats OP.

I wouldn't count on it. Even if Discover says its legit, it might be because it looks legit from Discovers end. This kind of thing can happen if a payment gets credited to the wrong account. Discover won't notice until the other party complains.

If you can't personally account for the credit, and Discover can't explain it then its not your money.

That being said there are a lot of details missing. How did the credit appear (what was the text of the credit), did it look like a payment, or a merchent credit, a fee rebate, a rewards credit etc?

This isn't monopoly, bank errors almost never play out in your favor. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 30
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@core wrote:

@akula wrote:
@Anonymous Thanks for explaining the OP situation. I had no clue what he was trying to say.

I didn't at first either.  I think that's where the "herb" nick comes from.  You guys have to look deeper into your lamps.

Right, and we all know where those "free" funds are about to be allocated.  Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 30
zerbherb
Established Contributor

i enjoy your therioes. But, i chatted them and they said its fine. So thats it. If they randomly say otherwise, i can name the exact person i chatted with who said it was. So its all good.

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 23 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@zerbherb wrote:

i enjoy your therioes. But, i chatted them and they said its fine. So thats it. If they randomly say otherwise, i can name the exact person i chatted with who said it was. So its all good.

But in almost all companies the company is not (legally) bound by statements of a random CSR (who lacks company authority).  With such a small amount it probably doesn't matter though

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerbherb wrote:

You haven't provided enough details to really say one way or another, but the CSRs statement will mean exactly zero if it turns out to be someone elses money. Misapplyed payments or merchent refunds do happen.

Message 25 of 30
medo
Frequent Contributor

They'll find it.  It's just a matter of time.  I had something similar happen to me for about $1000.  It took about 2 months.

Message 26 of 30
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@medo wrote:

They'll find it.  It's just a matter of time.  I had something similar happen to me for about $1000.  It took about 2 months.

As it should.  There is no such thing as "free" money.  

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that me or this post is totally annoying odd?

I mean "free legit money" from a credit card company! 

UGH

Discover will take back the money at some point. 

I am confused why the OP did not post and ask what could happen with it or if that happenned to someone before instead of saying "free legit money" and "I will give the rep name if they ask me for it"

They will not "ask for it"! They will charge your account back.  

That same situation happenned to me with Discover 6 months ago.  A weird story with a return, that turns into a dispute, that turns into a check from Discover, that turns into a positive balance on my CC account when I sent back the check. 

I called and they said everything was fine (or "legit money" like OP said).   They charged back my account 2 months after.

Don't get me wrong, for a minute I thought I could keep that money but after that minute I knew they will find out at some point.  And I was right.

When I called Amex yesterday to see if I can use my MR points to pay my AF, the rep said I needed 600 points (HAHA), she said it 3 times and obviously this is not what was deducted from my MR account:   Did I call back and said "I have the name of the rep who told me it was 600 points"?  No.  Cause she made a mistake and I knew it is not 1 point = $1 to redeem annual fee for Amex!

If that was the case I will have a Centurion membership for 10 years!  I WISH!  (and to be eligible)

I am not trying to be mean but let's be realistic for minute.   

Message 28 of 30
zerbherb
Established Contributor

ok. you guys will probably end up being right.

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerbherb wrote:

ok. you guys will probably end up being right.

Buuuuut!  We will be happy for you if they do not charge you back!

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.