cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why 2nd Citi Diamond low CL??, 1st: forward (8200)

tag
chief41

why 2nd Citi Diamond low CL??, 1st: forward (8200)

Total credit line : 22,800.00 

Experian: 713 (had kohls go to collection yr ago due to forgotten balance that paid immediately after notification). 

Highest CL: Citi Forward: 8200
Most recent card (one year ago): Bank of america (5000)

Other cards: Discover student (2000) / Chase Freedom (4500) / Bank of America (5000) / Capital one (authorized user 3000)

Store cards: Kohls/Macys/Bestbuy

Utilization ~ 13% (according credit karma).

Why did i get such a low CL for Diamond?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Need High Limit/Transfer: Apply Barclays Rewards or Citi simplicity or other?

Message 2 of 9
chief41

Re: Need High Limit/Transfer: Apply Barclays Rewards or Citi simplicity or other?

Utilization is pretty low i think. According to Credit Karma, 13%

Basically used balanced transfer on bofa up to limit (5k) and then mainly using student discover for day-day expenses (1.5k/month) and sporadic store card 

usage. 

Thank you for welcome. I recently discovered this forum and am trying to use it to develop my credit more effectively than i have reasonably done (given that i'm 22 yrs old

medical student).

Thank again.

Message 3 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Theres also citi diamond for 18 months zero apr on balance transfers...welcome here Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 4 of 9
chief41

I applied DIamond got it for 4k. I thought i would recieve a higher limit.....what happened?

Message 5 of 9
chief41

how soon can i request a CL increase? Hm i feel rather disappointed but maybe i shouldn't. 

Message 6 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

There are many possible reasons.

1. You have reached the max threshold for amount of credit that Citi is willing to extend to you. This cap changes over time, depending on your account history and income.

2. Citi feels that you have enough credit with them, or overall, for your income level.

3. Any other recent inquiries, derogs, or whatever changes that you have on file, if any.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 9
chief41

Those reasons make a lot of sense to me, also it seems, there are ways to drive up a limit fairly quickly. Thanks for your concise response. 

Message 8 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be happy with that CL... mine is currently at 2k the rest with Citi are much higher, but oh well. in 6 months I'm going to try to fix that! Smiley Very Happy
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.