Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why a low limited from Amex?

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Re: why a low limited from Amex?

I got a $1k limit from SPG Amex recently so dont feel bad. I couldnt believe it.

Message 11 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 12 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@onthemove wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I am quite aware of the "Amex 3x CIL", but I was trying to figure out with a high credit score and other good trade lines, why I ended up with only a $10,000 CL. I think I got part of my answer when I got home today. There was letter from Amex telling me that I have the "Pay-Over-Time feature and the out standing balance may not exceed $35,000, unless we notify you of a different amount", on my Amex Reward Gold Card plus, $10,000 a month for approval per month. I guess Amex internal process see things different from what we can see from the outside. Again thanks!

This is just the standard terms of Pay Over Time.  It doesn't necessarily mean that Amex is going to let you revolve $35K on your charge card.

As others have said, Amex has extended you over $30K of unsecured credit very recently.  $10K is a healthy new limit.  In that context, I don't see it as them extending you "only" $10K.  

I have an SPG card with a $27K limit.  When I applied for the Hhonors card, the initial CL was $13,700.  And that was nearly two years after applying for the SPG card.  I don't see anything surprising by the CL they gave you.  Of course, that isn't to say that you probably can't get a CLI.  But it's not surprising that they started you out a little lower on the second card especially given the time between the last app.     

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@onthemove wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I am quite aware of the "Amex 3x CIL", but I was trying to figure out with a high credit score and other good trade lines, why I ended up with only a $10,000 CL. I think I got part of my answer when I got home today. There was letter from Amex telling me that I have the "Pay-Over-Time feature and the out standing balance may not exceed $35,000, unless we notify you of a different amount", on my Amex Reward Gold Card plus, $10,000 a month for approval per month. I guess Amex internal process see things different from what we can see from the outside. Again thanks!

This is just the standard terms of Pay Over Time.  It doesn't necessarily mean that Amex is going to let you revolve $35K on your charge card.

As others have said, Amex has extended you over $30K of unsecured credit very recently.  $10K is a healthy new limit.  In that context, I don't see it as them extending you "only" $10K.  

I have an SPG card with a $27K limit.  When I applied for the Hhonors card, the initial CL was $13,700.  And that was nearly two years after applying for the SPG card.  I don't see anything surprising by the CL they gave you.  Of course, that isn't to say that you probably can't get a CLI.  But it's not surprising that they started you out a little lower on the second card especially given the time between the last app.     

+1

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.