Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does amex need zip code?

tag
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

why does amex need zip code?

Jst curious but sometimes when I use my amex green I am asked my zip code. I have really only seen this at pay at the pump with other cards but with my amex some merchants like CVS ask for it to. Whats up with that?

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: why does amex need zip code?

Its for Fraud protection. 

Authorized User Verification
When you use your American Express Card at some retail or online stores, you may be asked to provide your billing zip code or "CID" (Card Identification Digits). American Express compares that information with the zip code or CID on file to help confirm that it is you using the Card. This information is for security purposes only. It will not be used for marketing purposes, and is not retained by the merchant.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/fraud-protection-center/purchase-protection.html?vgnextch...

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Personally, I like it when credit cards prompt for a ZIP code or the security code.  Means that they have that extra level of security built in.  If the card is stolen, it's not likely that the thief is going to know the victim's ZIP code. 

Message 3 of 8
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Personally, I like it when credit cards prompt for a ZIP code or the security code.  Means that they have that extra level of security built in.  If the card is stolen, it's not likely that the thief is going to know the victim's ZIP code. 

Me too....I always worry when it don't ask for one!

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 4 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

I don't mind zip code, but I have no idea what the security card is on most of the cards I have. I remember maybe 2 of them. I wouldn't even be able to give the full card number of most since I never look at it.

Message 5 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

I don't mind zip code, but I have no idea what the security card is on most of the cards I have. I remember maybe 2 of them. I wouldn't even be able to give the full card number of most since I never look at it.

You may be thinking of the PIN.  I don't remember most of the PINs that I have, when they are included with a card.  The security number is the 3-digit number on the back of the card where one signs, or in the case of AMEX the 4-digit number on the front of the card in the right center area just above the card number.   Personally, I prefer the ZIP code as the security feature of choice.   

Message 6 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

You may be thinking of the PIN.  I don't remember most of the PINs that I have, when they are included with a card.  The security number is the 3-digit number on the back of the card where one signs, or in the case of AMEX the 4-digit number on the front of the card in the right center area just above the card number.   Personally, I prefer the ZIP code as the security feature of choice.   

I meant the security code. I actually thought people meant when the cashier asks you the zip code and types it in themselves. What I meant was if the cashier asked me for the security code after they take the card, I would not be able to answer.

Message 7 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

I meant the security code. I actually thought people meant when the cashier asks you the zip code and types it in themselves. What I meant was if the cashier asked me for the security code after they take the card, I would not be able to answer.

Wow!  Really?  Never heard of being asked the security code, but thanks for the heads up on that!  One more thing to be aware of with credit cards, I guess. Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.