webhopper

Re: why does everyone want an AMEX?

I like using amex as a daily card because it requires me to be responsible by paying in full. I like the prestige and the dispute a charge process is so easy. I did it once and had no issues! Disputing a charge is also easy with nfcu and discover so I give them props too.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
LS2982

I would say if you've been approved for one of their revolvers you've arrived in primeville. They are very hard to obtain.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
webhopper

I wanted one because that's what all the "cool kids" on the playground had :smileyembarrassed:

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Settemio

I have a Platinum Amex charge. No spending limit. I get a minimum one point for every dolar spent... I put 18k on it last month. That is almost a Delta plane ticket... My wife and I use it for everything, pay bills, groceries... anything that will take an amex, we use it... Just pay the balance off every month. I also have the pay over time option too... FYI, just because it says no limit doenst mean there isnt a limit... When talking to Amex, they generally will tell you, at least what they told me, you have a 35k limit. But if you want to buy a 80k item with it and get 80k points, you can call ahead and either get approval, or send them the funds needed for the transaction... that transaction would earn you at least 3 plane tickets...

Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

Settemio wrote:

I have a Platinum Amex charge. No spending limit. I get a minimum one point for every dolar spent... I put 18k on it last month. That is almost a Delta plane ticket... My wife and I use it for everything, pay bills, groceries... anything that will take an amex, we use it... Just pay the balance off every month. I also have the pay over time option too... FYI, just because it says no limit doenst mean there isnt a limit... When talking to Amex, they generally will tell you, at least what they told me, you have a 35k limit. But if you want to buy a 80k item with it and get 80k points, you can call ahead and either get approval, or send them the funds needed for the transaction... that transaction would earn you at least 3 plane tickets...

With that kind of spending, there are better options for earning points out there than the Amex plat. The PRG or SPG come to mind for Amex, along with the CSP and UA MP Club card from Chase (if you're a UA or *A flier).

I pushed 15k through my Chase cards last month which netted me 18k UA miles plus 10k UR points (via my CSP). There are good options out there for high spending, but the Amex plat isn't it. 

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Regular Contributor
Settemio

Thanks, but I rather enjoy the benefits of the platinum amex for the travel I do.

New Contributor
antae

Don't think everyone wants an Amex, but in my case when you spend thousands of dollars a year in gas & groceries its a no brainer to carry BCP.  I'm in my 20th year of excellent credit (no baddie, missed payments etc..) It wasn't a status symbol for me.

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Frequent Contributor
Sparkz1920

[ Edited ]

Coming from the 500s and crap cards with toy limits....it'sprestige and decent rewards to start. I got approved for a Citi Amex AA and a Delta Skymiles. Couldn't care less about it being low on their tier....

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
New Visitor
PMer1988

Such a high limits and quality cards with such low credit scores? What's your secret?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+