cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is it so hard for some to STAY In the Garden??

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: why is it so hard for some to STAY In the Garden??

@Duncanrr wrote:
I was not loved as a child so I need to gain the approval of others.

Duncanrr, I think you are doing really well, and whether you stay in the garden or not, that's absolutely fine because always remember you are a GREAT human being, defined by more than your FICO score.

Now if you can just send me your SSN and credit card number.....

(Preying on the needy since 1987)

Message 11 of 34
Involus
Regular Contributor

I find it hard to stay in garden when I'm active on this site - atleast before I had so many prime cards. I would see people getting approved with worse credit than me and I would app and get declined and so on. Don't have that problem anymore though. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 34
GreatCreditFor2012
Contributor

Well some of these people "so called" getting approved for these Prime cards with HIGH Uli, High Inquires, low credit limits, very short history and oh yea and Low Credit Scores. It's hard to believe at times... Determination and Patience is what it takes to stay and Garden. I'll be leaving in March then going RIGHT Back in! Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 34
djrez4
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

it's just fun for some people, for instance people who already bought a house, cars and no big shopping left for a few years, they can app for anything and everything and not worry about their credit loss. If you have the ability ot hit 800+ you can app for anything you want you won't drop below 760. There's reward chaser couples who can take 20k+ per person each year in reward bonuses (it's been done, with loop holes) but realistically $5,000 in rewards a year is not too unheard of if that's all your doing is chasing points. so just a game for some people.

This.  Some of us don't want to be in the garden.  I have pulled in 100k Ultimate rewards points (redeemed for over $11k in flights), 65k Hilton points, and $120 cash back just in the last 4 months.  I plan to grab another 100-240k Hilton points, 100k American Airlines miles, 50k United Miles, 50k Starwood points and 50-90k Ultimate Rewards points in the first 6 months of next year.

Message 14 of 34
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Like another poster said, it is hard to stay in the garden for many reasons. I was thinking of staying in the graden from october until the end of the month and go for an AMEX and Chase. I decided, what the heck, just pull the trigger and see what happens. I got one, did not get the other. Being on this site is tempting because there are people who have different or similar histories and you see them getting approved for cards that you believe you have no shot for. But some have the patience to stay and slowly their scores start going up. Just remember, your credit will grow with time and patience, and lastly, app for cards that you envision yourself using or needing. Dont apply for cards that you have no use for IMHO. Now it is seriously time for me to garden and stay here for a little while. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 15 of 34
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

It's this forum. Especially if your targeting a specific card and someone starts posting approvals about it.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 16 of 34
bs6054
Valued Contributor

And the whole culture here is to encourage people to apply, and to congratulate them on approvals and CLIs.  And a lot of the time, these are people who are rebuilding after credit troubles.   Probably we should be asking "Do you need that card/CLI or is it going to get you into trouble?"

A little like an AA site where people post "I managed to get served today.   I asked for a triple, they said no, but gave me a double."  "Oh, congratulations!"

OK, a little extreme, but....

Message 17 of 34
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

The way I did it was I pretty much just stay on the rebuilding forum and ignored the credit forum. Once my rebuild had sufficiently progressed then I started looking at credit topics. Now I only occasionally go to rebuild threads and that's normally just to help others and not for personal questions.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 34
Jutz
Valued Contributor

On Duncan's note, people who hit the CC forum before the rebuild forum tend to have an issue.  Especially when the first post is "I apped for Cards A, B, C, D, and E, why did I get declined".  Any of us who frequent the Rebuild Forum most often know that there is mostly sound advice coming out of there.  I think there's two cards we recommend; Secured and WalMart.

Also, I've gots a well groomed garden.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 19 of 34
GreatCreditFor2012
Contributor

I find that Anticipation keeps me in the Garden... Just seeing my score going up little by little. Especially when I have a goal set so its been pretty easy to stay... Cause I would HATE To get a Toy Limit or worse... DENIED. Just cause I couldn't help my self and left the Garden prematurely. But I LOVR Hearing Success stories about how my fellow Gardner's rebounded into prime Territory. But I use that as Inspiration that ill get there too... NOT To leave the Garden before I know I'm ready. That's all I'm saying my fellow Gardner's. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.