Established Member

why is orchard so bad?

i just applied for a orchard credit card and got aproved with a $300 limit. I was happy to get approved since my credit score is 449 and have a steap hill to climb to fix my credit. But all I read on these phorums is how bad orchard is. Sgould I get another card, should I get more than one?

Starting Score: 419
Current Score: 449
Goal Score: 620

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor

Re: why is orchard so bad?

pyboathon wrote:

i just applied for a orchard credit card and got aproved with a $300 limit. I was happy to get approved since my credit score is 449 and have a steap hill to climb to fix my credit. But all I read on these phorums is how bad orchard is. Sgould I get another card, should I get more than one?

There is nothing wrong with Orchard for a rebuilder card IMO.

Besides with your scores being so low I wouldn't be thinking about applying for additional credit just yet unless I was going to apply for a secured card and open it with a decent limit of 2k-5k.

Let the card you have now age a little.

Good luck 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Established Member

thank you. I know it will be a long process to fix my credit, but I am excited about it. quick question, will getting a secured cc with a 500 to 1000 limit not do much for my credit

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congratulations, Orchard is a very good card for your score.  There are much worse out there, but not much better that you can get.    Treat it well for over 6 months and then add another card.   Capital One would be a good choice, especially the secured one so you can build a higher CL on your report.   A $500 to $1000 secured card is good for your credit, but the higher you can grow it the easier it will be to get higher limits in the future. 

Established Member

the higher I can grow it?

what does that mean.  Can you start off putting down $500 and lets say add 100 each month. I feel like there should be a section in communtiy for people that have 400 scores and are clueless. lol

I've been sitting here reading trying to figure out if I should pay off accounts that are in collection that are over 2 yrs old, if I should settle? pay full? some post say it will hurt my score and not help 

Senior Contributor

I like the Capital One secured the best of the major banks.    You can start with a $200 deposit and that would be your limit.    You can add more deposit in $100 increments whenever you want.    It is very easy to do on their website.   Your CL will then be increased by that amount ( takes 2 weeks to show up however).   Capital One will also review your account every 6 months and may add  additional unsecured CL to your account.    You still have to qualify for most secured cards, so I would still wait until I had at least 6 months of good reporting on Orchard before I applied.,  

Valued Contributor

pyboathon wrote:

the higher I can grow it?

what does that mean.  Can you start off putting down $500 and lets say add 100 each month. I feel like there should be a section in communtiy for people that have 400 scores and are clueless. lol

I've been sitting here reading trying to figure out if I should pay off accounts that are in collection that are over 2 yrs old, if I should settle? pay full? some post say it will hurt my score and not help 

If you were to get a secure card, I will first talk to a local credit union. They are generally flexible and are willing to look at unsecuring in less than a year and give a good CL after that.

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Established Member

With a $300  limit, should I spend $20 a month and pay it off every month

I  will wait 6 months to apply for the capital one. Now with capital one, I had a car back from 2003 to march 2006, It got repo. Would me applying for a cc mess with it falling off after the 7yr mark, which should be 2013

Valued Contributor

pyboathon wrote:

With a $300  limit, should I spend $20 a month and pay it off every month

I  will wait 6 months to apply for the capital one. Now with capital one, I had a car back from 2003 to march 2006, It got repo. Would me applying for a cc mess with it falling off after the 7yr mark, which should be 2013

You can spend whatever you want on the card. I will pay many times a month (every time a purchase posts) to keep utilization low. Don't apply for capital one unless you try a pre approval. You may end up piling too many cards with an AF.

The best bet will be to see if a local credit union will give you a secured card.

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Established Member

how often does utilization get checked, I assumed if I spend $20 and pay it off once a month then my utilization should be close to 0%

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.