cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will amex shut me down for too many new accounts?

tag
mross1080
Established Contributor

Re: will amex shut me down for too many new accounts?

I think they have a monkey throws darts at a board with everyones name on it to decide who gets FR'd. Congrats on a good score and all your cards! I love amex but do hate that anxious feeling using it wondering if this is going to be the charge they dont like. I used my Amex over the weekend for a 4800 dollar charge and I think my heart stopped when I watched the women swipe the card for the few seconds between the swipe and waiting for the receipt to print out to see if it would go through.

Message 31 of 36
OnWayUpinTexas
Regular Contributor

My experience has been that if you call the Amex CSRs first and let them know what you're doing ... (1) I'd like to make an unusually big purchase; (2) I'm going out of town with the card; (3) [insert your scenario here] ... Amex seems to appreciate it, and you get the benefit of knowing your "special" purchase (whatever that might be) will be approved.

In my past Amex life, I remember calling a company and ordering a $5500 computer projector for work on my personal Gold Card, but I called Amex first to make sure they knew what was up.  This weekend, I charged a $375 Christmas present at Neiman Marcus for my DW's grandmother.  As that was the largest purchase so far on my brand new Amex Zync card (which had some other charges on it as well), I called Amex first and had them give me the A-Ok beforehand.  What can I say, I'm a worrier ...

Starting Score: 542 (in 2006)
Current Score: 661 (TU FICO), 677 (EQ FICO), 672 (EX FICO)
Goal Score: 750+
Message 32 of 36
mross1080
Established Contributor

@OnWayUpinTexas wrote:

My experience has been that if you call the Amex CSRs first and let them know what you're doing ... (1) I'd like to make an unusually big purchase; (2) I'm going out of town with the card; (3) [insert your scenario here] ... Amex seems to appreciate it, and you get the benefit of knowing your "special" purchase (whatever that might be) will be approved.

In my past Amex life, I remember calling a company and ordering a $5500 computer projector for work on my personal Gold Card, but I called Amex first to make sure they knew what was up.  This weekend, I charged a $375 Christmas present at Neiman Marcus for my DW's grandmother.  As that was the largest purchase so far on my brand new Amex Zync card (which had some other charges on it as well), I called Amex first and had them give me the A-Ok beforehand.  What can I say, I'm a worrier ...

I have a difference of opinion on that. I moved out  of my mothers house ages ago. I feel im grown up enough where I shouldnt have to make sure its ok to spend my money how I see fit.

Message 33 of 36
OnWayUpinTexas
Regular Contributor

@mross1080 wrote:

@OnWayUpinTexas wrote:

I have a difference of opinion on that. I moved out  of my mothers house ages ago. I feel im grown up enough where I shouldnt have to make sure its ok to spend my money how I see fit.

To each his own.  I'd just rather not be standing in the middle of Neiman Marcus (or Tiffany's, for that matter) with DECLINED showing on the register.  Smiley Wink

Maybe after I've been back in the Amex family for a little longer than 30 days I'll feel more confident.

In all seriousness, though, someone posted this recently and it happened to me: Take a twitchy credit card (or even debit card) with you on a trip across the country, use it at the airport when you arrive, then try to use it the next day.  DECLINED.   It's just not a bad idea to give your creditors a heads up about certain things that are going on, is all I'm saying ...  Not talking about calling for approval for groceries or dinner for the family at the restaurant down the street ... Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 542 (in 2006)
Current Score: 661 (TU FICO), 677 (EQ FICO), 672 (EX FICO)
Goal Score: 750+
Message 34 of 36
mross1080
Established Contributor

@OnWayUpinTexas wrote:

@mross1080 wrote:

@OnWayUpinTexas wrote:

To each his own.  I'd just rather not be standing in the middle of Neiman Marcus (or Tiffany's, for that matter) with DECLINED showing on the register.  Smiley Wink

Maybe after I've been back in the Amex family for a little longer than 30 days I'll feel more confident.

In all seriousness, though, someone posted this recently and it happened to me: Take a twitchy credit card (or even debit card) with you on a trip across the country, use it at the airport when you arrive, then try to use it the next day.  DECLINED.   It's just not a bad idea to give your creditors a heads up about certain things that are going on, is all I'm saying ...  Not talking about calling for approval for groceries or dinner for the family at the restaurant down the street ... Smiley Happy

I can see if your taking a long distance trip. But if I was declined I would simply use my debit card with the exception of Neiman Marcus or one of my many other credit cards that are begging for my business and then call amex and let them know how not only do there business practices make them lose money but it also tarnishs there image which is not as high end as it use to be. Just that one call might not seem like much but after many and many of them things might change.

Message 35 of 36
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amex will actually tell you to not call in when your traveling.

The only reason I would call them is if your going from average spending of 1k to something like 10k in a month, you might want to make sure your spending ability is up there... but once you do it once, you usually don't have any problems ever again.

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.