Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will any semi decent card look at me?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

will any semi decent card look at me?

my score isnt terrible considering where ive come from, but im waiting for my util to drop from 96% to 6% and myfico sim has me in the 660-700 range. *crossing fingers*

My biggest problem is with my student loans. Ive had them since 2005, in 2007 i did a 7 month deferment and again from 6/09-12/09. What I didnt know was that these deferments only meant my loan would stay open, I had no idea they would report as consecutive lates on my CR. So now I have 14 lates in the past 4 years and its really hurting my chances of approval.

I havent applied for anything other than apts in the past 2 years, and 2 CCs one in jan and one in june through my employer (gauranteed approval because im an employee)

now that you have my biggest hurt factors, are there any cards that I could benefit from with a score in the 650-680 range or below? with that many lates I know my chances are slim, but I have no CAs or PRs, and no lates coming up on 2 years.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: will any semi decent card look at me?

Get that util down and pull your scores.  There are cards out there.  Quick quesiton though, what cards do you have currently?  Also, you should be able to do something about those student loans.  I have heard of people getting lates good willed off.  Also, showing as late for deferring sounds wrong.  Talk to the lender.  Finallly I hear you can rehab them and clean up credit file.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 18
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

you are borderline for an AMEX Zync card, may net you a card that is 500 hard limit if you setup autopay otherwise 200 hardlimit. The hardlimits may never be removed without App-ing for new cards when your score is much better than closing the Zync account. Time heals most credit wounds and problem, Write GW letters to get some of the lates removed.  Garden for 6 more months let those lates age setup autopayment on your credit cards so you won't have any more lates. Then you should be good for the NPSL Zync.  Perhaps more if your score goes up. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 18
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

you are borderline for an AMEX Zync card, may net you a card that is 500 hard limit if you setup autopay otherwise 200 hardlimit. The hardlimits may never be removed without App-ing for new cards when your score is much better than closing the Zync account. Time heals most credit wounds and problem, Write GW letters to get some of the lates removed.  Garden for 6 more months let those lates age setup autopayment on your credit cards so you won't have any more lates. Then you should be good for the NPSL Zync.  Perhaps more if your score goes up. 

my card is a charter one/citizens bank platinum rewards, and a PNC secured. PNC is at $0 balance and Charter One is $37. so thatll help. I dont have to worry about missing payments because I pay every week to keep getting rewards with such a low limit I have to. I need to lookup amex zync. Ive seen people talking about them, but amex is just intimidating to me, so ive never looked at them really. Ive written so many GWs to mohela, written the execs, customer service, etc. they say it is in the fine print of what i signed stating interest will still be accrued and late payments will be reported to CRAs. So im SOL there.

Just wanted to build a file, but with my scores at a decent range for an OK card, I figured the lates would kill my chances. didnt know if there were any cards more willing to work with lates than others. Now that I have 21 months of on-time payments accross the board.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 4 of 18
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Wait 3 more months to make 24 months of on-time payments. Then apply for the CC you want and if denied recon. Good luck! Also if you have a citizens bank CC thats means your credit might not be as bad as you think.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 5 of 18
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
Wait 3 more months to make 24 months of on-time payments. Then apply for the CC you want and if denied recon. Good luck! Also if you have a citizens bank CC thats means your credit might not be as bad as you think.

I was going to apply for a kay jewelers card when my util updated. would that be a bad idea? for a standard credit card I have no problems waiting 3 months. What kind of cards should I be aiming for though?

Cap 1?

Message 6 of 18
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Id apply for kay if i was you...wait for utl to update and go for it. Also wait 3 months like i said and go for a big bank CC, i know cap 1 might be a more secure approval but it might also be for a 300cl.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 7 of 18
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:

i mean it does but it doesn't. 

i am an employee as well.

from what i was told they basically give you it. i mean idk what my score was before apping for 4 cards. but yeah. 

before that chase denied me 2 times in the past 2 years. citi did too. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 8 of 18
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@OlegWasHere wrote:

@jsickz32 wrote:

i mean it does but it doesn't. 

i am an employee as well.

from what i was told they basically give you it. i mean idk what my score was before apping for 4 cards. but yeah. 

before that chase denied me 2 times in the past 2 years. citi did too. 

well if your an employee it might be easier. i was pre-approved for their cashback while opening a savings account and the lady helping looked so surprised that i was pre-approved and told me that citizensbank is very conservative when it comes to their cards.

Message 9 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

*COUGH* Wait till your util updates and see what your score is before you do anything.  No need to mess things up by being impatient.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.