cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will chase let you lower your cash advance limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

will chase let you lower your cash advance limit?

Hello all!  I have never had any difficulty getting a credit card issuer to lower my cash advance limit to a small number, e.g. $200 or even $0.

I opened a Chase Ink Bold Plus last week, and they gave me a very high CA limit.  I called them today and the CSR told me that Chase does not permit customers to lower their CA limit on any of their products.  (Freedom, Sapphire, Ink Bold, etc.) 

Has anyone here done this before?  Was the CSR mistaken?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: will chase let you lower your cash advance limit?

Why do you wish to lower it?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's pretty easy to find a credit card with a great sign up bonus and also a (completely different) bank running a great offer if you open a checking account with them.  The CC often has a big minimum spending requirement, but that can be met by using it to fund the bank account.  It's a nice way to kill two birds with one stone.

But when you do that, you want to make sure that the bank doesn't code the funding deposit as a cash advance, or you end up paying a big fee on your first CC bill.  A common way people protect themselves from that is by lowering the cash advance limit on the card.  That way, the worst thing that happens is that the card gets rejected, but at least you don't pay a CA fee.

That's why I'd be interested in lowering the limit.

Message 3 of 10
bz386
Frequent Contributor

I have a zero cash advance limit on my CSP and Freedom and had it on the United MP before I closed it. It was a simple matter of sending a secure message to Chase. Your CSR was likely misinformed, or the policy is different for business cards.

Message 4 of 10
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

Why do you wish to lower it?

Most likely "Chasing" a bonus (see what  I did there Smiley Very Happy) , and they don't want transactions (like prepaid debit card purchases and checking account funding) to be charged as cash advances. 

Message 5 of 10
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's pretty easy to find a credit card with a great sign up bonus and also a (completely different) bank running a great offer if you open a checking account with them.  The CC often has a big minimum spending requirement, but that can be met by using it to fund the bank account.  It's a nice way to kill two birds with one stone.

But when you do that, you want to make sure that the bank doesn't code the funding deposit as a cash advance, or you end up paying a big fee on your first CC bill.  A common way people protect themselves from that is by lowering the cash advance limit on the card.  That way, the worst thing that happens is that the card gets rejected, but at least you don't pay a CA fee.

That's why I'd be interested in lowering the limit.

Clever! It sounds like Chase may be on to this strategy though.

Message 6 of 10
satasat360
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!  I have never had any difficulty getting a credit card issuer to lower my cash advance limit to a small number, e.g. $200 or even $0.

I opened a Chase Ink Bold Plus last week, and they gave me a very high CA limit.  I called them today and the CSR told me that Chase does not permit customers to lower their CA limit on any of their products.  (Freedom, Sapphire, Ink Bold, etc.) 

I have set my Cash advance on my freedom and slate to 0 in one phone call in december 2014. I'm not sure whether anything changed over the course of last year, also since you are trying to set it in a business card it could be different.

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You can always use secure message to try again. 

I lowered both cash advances to $0 on my Freedom and AARP card. Have yet to try on my Chase Ink though. 

Also, how did you get a Chase Bold??? Those went extinct a while back. It's only cash and plus for the ink variants.

And I posted a "fund your bank account with a CC" thread a few months ago. If you use google, you can find a link that states whether funding an account is coded as a cash advance for certain banks. Therefore, you do not have to worry if the bank is listed there. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

(freedom and aarp) $20 is what i got! i requested $0. did it on 1/16/16 thru secure message. here's the msg. 

"We value your relationship and it is important to us that
we address your needs as a customer. I would like to
inform you, that the option to change the cash line $0.00
is unavailable. The minimum we can reduce the cash line is
to $20.00. If you wish to proceed, please reply to this
email and we will be happy to assist you."

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can always use secure message to try again. 

I lowered both cash advances to $0 on my Freedom and AARP card. Have yet to try on my Chase Ink though. 

Also, how did you get a Chase Bold??? Those went extinct a while back. It's only cash and plus for the ink variants.

And I posted a "fund your bank account with a CC" thread a few months ago. If you use google, you can find a link that states whether funding an account is coded as a cash advance for certain banks. Therefore, you do not have to worry if the bank is listed there. 

The word BOLD was a brain seizure.  It just crept in there.  You are completely right.  The card I obtained was an Ink Plus (it arrived about 9 days ago).

If you have a particular link in mind, feel free to send it to me as a private message. Thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.