cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will prepaid amex help get "in" with amex?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

will prepaid amex help get "in" with amex?

Hi all,

I did some Google research but found some conflicting answers.

I'm rebuilding my credit, and I think in about 10 months (based on my SL rehab), I should be in a much better place. 

I was wondering... if I get a prepaid Amex and basically use it for my daily activities as opposed to my bank debit card, do they keep an "internal" file of it so maybe later on it would be easier to get approved for a basic AMEX?

I know they don't report to CRAs because it's prepaid... but maybe it would be a foot in later on to get the regular charge card if I reload like $500 every two weeks or so?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
omgitsphilly
New Contributor

Re: will prepaid amex help get "in" with amex?

i am not going to lie to you. I wouldn't know, but i myself had a Prepaid Amex card for 10 months. I never used it once. I just got approved for Amex Green Card March 8th. I got a pre approval letter. I took the step and applied. Instantly approved. 

Message 2 of 6
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

sweet! but your credit is probably a lot better than mine.

Message 3 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

The prepaid product had been out for awhile now and not many members here have reported success doing that.

IMO I would get your scores close to 680, no recent baddies and have a CC or two with decent positive history (at least 6 months) and app cold turkey for a charge card. That will get your foot in the door with AMEX.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 6
Open123
Super Contributor

I haven't seen any indication that it would help, but only that it can't hurt.

In most cases, if you were to qualify for one of their cards, having or not having this card wouldn't make the difference either way.  The only scenario where having this card may make a difference is if you're a borderline approval, but have been using the preapaid for a extended period of time.  This will at least assure Amex you use a card, pay, and ID fraud isn't an issue.

Message 5 of 6
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for your responses!! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.