Reply
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
user5387
Posts: 1,794
Registered: ‎07-01-2010
0

wondering about USAA MasterCard

I joined USAA earlier this year as a non-military member, and was recently approved for the MasterCard (Platinum).

 

I like this card because it's integrated into the other accounts like checking, and because of the emergency features (no fees on overdraft protection or cash advances to the USAA checking account).

 

I'm wondering just how to best make use of the card, and would be interested in hearing from others who have it.

 

One question I have is about the emergency features like cash advances and overdrafts.  I have seen a few allusions to people using these.  Do any of you have additional experiences with these features?

 

Another thing I'm  wondering about is doing BTs.  Do you as a non-military member receive BT offers, for example with a reduced APR or fee waiver?

 

Thanks.

 

 

Valued Contributor
chasmith
Posts: 1,062
Registered: ‎05-26-2010
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

I'm a longtime USAA member but fully qualified via my father's service...

 

I use their online banking.  Go in there and set up overdraft protection from your card to your checking account.  It will round up to the next $100 and cover overdrafts.

 

To take a cash advance, do an online or automated phone system transfer from card to checking.  If you want cash, do that then take the cash out of checking - fees will apply if you draw cash directly from the card.  The transfers are essentially instant.

 

 

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
O6
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

[ Edited ]

chasmith wrote:

I'm a longtime USAA member but fully qualified via my father's service...

 

I use their online banking.  Go in there and set up overdraft protection from your card to your checking account.  It will round up to the next $100 and cover overdrafts.

 

To take a cash advance, do an online or automated phone system transfer from card to checking.  If you want cash, do that then take the cash out of checking - fees will apply if you draw cash directly from the card.  The transfers are essentially instant.

 

 


There is no fee for a cash advance if you transfer the money from your CC directly to one of your other USAA accounts via online banking.  No need to overdraw your checking account to do it.

IAALBNYL
Senior Contributor
john398
Posts: 3,526
Registered: ‎01-19-2009
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

Speaking of USAA are they a bank or a credit union? I always tjhought they were a CU but I alkways see: USAA Federal Savings Bank

Contributor
greekjim
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎07-29-2007
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

I was wondering how do you do that transfer from your USAA credit card to your checking account

EQ- 727 5/12/10
TU- 746 5/12/10
Valued Contributor
chasmith
Posts: 1,062
Registered: ‎05-26-2010
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

It's really easy, a couple of ways:

 

1. Do a transfer in their online banking website.

 

2. Do a transfer in their automated telephone system.

 

3. Go in to the online banking website and set up the credit card as overdraft protection for the checking account.  If you have an overdraft they will do a transfer from the credit card to cover, that is rounded up to the next even $100.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
MDfive21
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎10-17-2010
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

agree with chas on all counts.  

small addition - when you transfer $ among your usaa accounts, or from another bank into usaa, or request a cash advance from the CC, the $ appears in your usaa account instantly. 

 

Established Contributor
Itsmeagain
Posts: 832
Registered: ‎01-16-2008
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

 


chasmith wrote:

3. Go in to the online banking website and set up the credit card as overdraft protection for the checking account.  If you have an overdraft they will do a transfer from the credit card to cover, that is rounded up to the next even $100.


 

I too am a non-military member.  I have checking, savings and their credit card.

 

I have looked but can't figure out how to set up the CC as overdraft protection on the online banking website.

 

Any suggestions?


Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
O6
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

 


Itsmeagain wrote:

 


chasmith wrote:

3. Go in to the online banking website and set up the credit card as overdraft protection for the checking account.  If you have an overdraft they will do a transfer from the credit card to cover, that is rounded up to the next even $100.


 

I too am a non-military member.  I have checking, savings and their credit card.

 

I have looked but can't figure out how to set up the CC as overdraft protection on the online banking website.

 

Any suggestions?


 

Click on your account in the main accounts page and it will bring you to your account summary.  At the top there are three tabs and click on the one that says <Transactions>. 

 

On the far right hand column you will see your account number, balance & routing number.  A little bit below routing number but above your rewards points summary there are three links.  One says <Overdraft Protection>.

 

Bingo!

IAALBNYL
Regular Contributor
MDfive21
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎10-17-2010
0

Re: wondering about USAA MasterCard

you can also call in.  they have the most helpful call center personnel i've ever dealt with.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}