cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

working on credit help

tag
forever9

working on credit help

Hi i been lerking around this forum and it was a great help, i'm glad i came aross this. I'm fairly new with credit, only 20 yo. and i want to jump start on building credit. Right now i have a capital one secured card for 4 month, keeping my balance now and paying in full. CK say i havea score of 736(i know this is not a real score). But i was thinking after 6 month what card can i apply too. I been reading around and chase is kinda iffy cuz 6 months is short history. and what about discover would i be able to approve. i really love cash reward, a few info about me is i am a full time student and work part time. so a year i make about 14k.

i also bank with chase, recently open saving account, but dont really have money in there, but depositing monthly. 

What im wondering is, which card can i most likely get approve on with 6 month history, since i dont want to waste inquiries if im going to apply.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: working on credit help

@forever9 wrote:

Hi i been lerking around this forum and it was a great help, i'm glad i came aross this. I'm fairly new with credit, only 20 yo. and i want to jump start on building credit. Right now i have a capital one secured card for 4 month, keeping my balance now and paying in full. CK say i havea score of 736(i know this is not a real score). But i was thinking after 6 month what card can i apply too. I been reading around and chase is kinda iffy cuz 6 months is short history. and what about discover would i be able to approve. i really love cash reward, a few info about me is i am a full time student and work part time. so a year i make about 14k.

i also bank with chase, recently open saving account, but dont really have money in there, but depositing monthly. 

What im wondering is, which card can i most likely get approve on with 6 month history, since i dont want to waste inquiries if im going to apply.

Hi there! It is hard to give advice because I don't know what all is in your credit profile. Possible negatives, student loans, car loans, etc. If you only have one CC and no derogs, you could try to look into a Student Discover It card. Shop around. What rewards are you looking for? Travel, cash back, Low Interest, etc? You stated cash reward- so I assume you're most interested in cash back.  Do you bank with a credit union? They tend to be generous and have good rates. Chase probably is iffy, but since you have a relationship with them, maybe they'll give you a chance. Look at some pre-approval sites and see if you pre-qualify for any thing. That would be a soft pull, and there fore not impact your credit report. (it should only ask for the last 4 of your social,  not all of it for a soft pull - generally speaking )

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.