Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

worth the hard pull?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

worth the hard pull?

I need 5 points to close on my home. I have two installment loans. My broker suggested i get a secured credit card due to lack of credit. I obtained a Cap One. It boosted my score greatly. Still need those 5 points. Would it be worth the hard pull on my credit to get another secured CC? We are scheduled to close in a few weeks so time is a factor. And if so who would you recommend for the second card?
Thanks everyone.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: worth the hard pull?

Dont get me wrong but new  inquiry going to hurt your score.

• New account wont report after a few week . I dont know why the broker would suggest you do that but if you had someone can add you as an authorize user on their longest CC would be a best option. Nothing lose on this case and your score would be increase if they had long and steady with no late history.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 14
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

• New account wont report after a few week . I dont know why the broker would suggest you do that but if you had someone can add you as an authorize user on their longest CC would be a best option. Nothing lose on this case and your score would be increase if they had long and steady with no late history.

How long would it take for this to post to his CR though?

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 3 of 14
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

It probably wouldn't report until a few days after the statement cuts.

@patsfan1453 wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

How long would it take for this to post to his CR though?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 4 of 14
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Credit Card company ussually report to credit bureau couple days after your statement cut. Some not report at all if you wont used your card like Credit One in my experience.

I heard some sub prime CC not report to credit bureau about AU but its YMMV. Hope its answer your question.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to have to ask for an extension. I'm pretty sure I will get it. The home owner has said he would wait. With an extension what would be my best option. Will my score increase without a second card. If i use the one card correctly with a 9% utilization, I've read this seems to be the right #, and make my two i.stallment payments on time will that do it. I wouldn't have to worry about a hard pull. An AU isn't an option. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

The inquiry will cause a score drop. Also, some lenders dislike seeing new Apps before underwriting.

Is there anything else you can do that will improve the score? Utilization less than 9% has to be on statement date. Any old late payments where a goodwill adjustment might help?

Cap 1 isn't a company that would typically give a CLI, so that's out of the question.

You may inherit the 5 points next month with no effort at all between average account age slightly improving and the Cap 1 inquiry getting a tad bit older. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well i do have two medical collections that are to be deleted from my report this week that were errors. Think that will do it?
I was concerned about utilization so ive only spent 9%. I wasn't sure when the bill would come. I still haven't gotten a bill. But it was reported to credit bureaus on 12-12-12. My credit limit is 200. I charged 17 on it and that was reported. Is that ok and when should i pay it from now on?
Thank you all for the advice.
Message 8 of 14
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

Drop your UTIL to 1% if possible it would give you a slight bump most likely.

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 9 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Man it scares me when people buy homes with less than a 720 mid-score.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.