Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

your favourite credit cards

tag
proton022
Valued Member

your favourite credit cards

Folks,

I've a 10+ year long credit history, but due to my silly mistake (Smiley Embarassed) both credit cards that I had got cancelled by the creditor two years ago. I'm now an authorized user on my spouse's CCs. I want to untie myself from hers, and start holding my own set of CCs. 

FICO scores: EQ: 795, TU: 782, EX: 742 (all one week old, obtained from a lender pull). 

There is an overwhelming amount of information out there, but it would be nice to know your favourite card for each of the following two categories if you were me. I pay in full, so APR doesn't matter. 

1. Rewards card: 

My spouse has Chase Freedom, but I find the revolving categories a pain to track.  I'm thinking of PenFed Platinum Rewards, which gives about 3% rewards on grocery, 5% on gas, and 1% for the rest.  May be also add PenFed Premium Travel Rewards for getting 5% back on flight tickets. PenFed also seems to serve a worthy cause. Are there better ones than these?

2. Travel Card:

I travel about 6-8 times a year about equally on Delta and UA.  Nice to have complimentary companion travel, lounge accesses, and no fee on foreign transactions. Any card  that gives all these for ~100$ fee? I used to have Citi PremierPass Elite, which gets close to this, but I'm not sure if they give Priority Pass club access these days with it.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: your favourite credit cards

I'm a huge fan of the Us Bank Cash+ rewards card.  2 revolving 5% cash back catagories and 2% on gas or groceries, and 1 % back on everything else along with no AF. 

Message 2 of 33
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I like this card very much as well. It´s included in my to-get list Smiley Happy

Besides that, the BCP 6% groceries/supermarkets is not bad, even with AF.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 3 of 33
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a huge fan of the Us Bank Cash+ rewards card.  2 revolving 5% cash back catagories and 2% on gas or groceries, and 1 % back on everything else along with no AF. 

+1  I'm also a huge fan of the US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature card.  Received my card a week ago and have already racked up almost $50 in cash back (which I won't redeem until it reaches $100 so I get the $25 bonus).  I chose bill pay and department stores for my 5% categories, and grocery for my 2% category.  I will earn roughly $36 per month just on the bill pay category alone.  I'm loving that.

My other go-to card for cash back rewards is Amex's Blue Cash Everyday.  I use that to get 3% on grocery and 2% on gas.  I do some of my grocery shopping at Walmart, which the BCE doesn't recognize for grocery, so when shopping at Walmart, I use my cash+ card to get at least the 2% on groceries.

I also have Discover and will use that depending on what the quarterly categories are.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 4 of 33
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Op, no companion pass benefit is really that good.  Usually you need to buy more expensive ticket to qualify for free companion pass.  Usually doesn't really save you any money compared to buying two discounted tickets. The only exception I can see is Alaska airlines card.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 33
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Us bank cash+ card isn't a great cash back card on its own.  The 5% categories are limited in scope (eg restaurants and fast food are two categories).  There are better stand alone cash back cards.  The gas-grocery combo cards are usually best given most people's spending.  However cash+ card is awesome when used in conjunction with other cards.  The main reason is that you can select the categories and more importantly, there are some categories that no other cards seem to have.  Cash+ basically let's you fill in high tier rewardsyour some spending categories not covered by other cards at similar levels.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as CL and APR citibank is my favorite. My wifes citi is 6.74%APR. I didnt even know CC's could go that low. Mine is 10,74, but Ive also had bad credit in the past. The wife hasnt.

As far as getting something back for using the CC, Chase Amazon is my favorite. We use them and get points for every purchase, double points for gas and triple for stuff we buy on Amazon, then use those points to buy stuff on Amazon.

As long as you pay the balance off quickly enough and dont have to pay interest its like free money. We've bought all sorts of stuff off Amazon with the points.

Message 7 of 33
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

The Cash+ card looks good for bills and stuff but not necessarily everyday spending.. also beware you may not be approved for the Cash+ but the lower. I appd for the CAsh+ and got the cash rewards. So if you arent 100% sure of approval for the cash + i wouldnt waste a hard pull on it. the Cash Rewards is just 1% on everything.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 8 of 33
proton022
Valued Member

Thanks for the tip on cash+. I didn't about it before, it looks very useful.

Drew, Do you have a read on what are the approval odds for my credit? EX score is a bit low (740ish), but otherwise I should be ok..

Message 9 of 33
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

US Bank Cash+ card.  It is  my main go to card. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.