Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$140 sewer bill turns into foreclosure notice and $50,000 tab for homeowner

tag
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

$140 sewer bill turns into foreclosure notice and $50,000 tab for homeowner

OUCH! How is this even possible!?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/140-sewer-bill-turns-foreclosure-notice-50-000-185124272.html

Starting Score: 502 5/4/2012
Current Score: 640 08/03/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: $140 sewer bill turns into foreclosure notice and $50,000 tab for homeowner

$140 probably seems like a great deal, now! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 2 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I'm more interested in how can he left a bill unpaid for 4 years without even realizing it. Impossible in my eye.

I'd say the homeowner did lie about this part.

Message 3 of 8
FrugalRican
Blogger

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I'm more interested in how can he left a bill unpaid for 4 years without even realizing it. Impossible in my eye.

A lot of posts in the myFico forums would love to disagree with you.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 8
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Memory becomes perfect when it's time to app for a mortgage.

Message 5 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I disagree. If a bill is unpaid there will be numerous collection attempts before it even goes to collection agency/private company. And sewage bill is part of the water bill, so how can one be so blind when the water service is cut off? Even if this sewage bill is a separate bill city government will be knocking this houseowner's door long before charge off.

When you owe something, you are going to be harrased. No debt owner is going to sit around for 4 years before taking action on it.

Message 6 of 8
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ Trumpet,

It was sarcasm.

People frequently post about the unfairness of Zombie debt popping up at mortgage time.

Message 7 of 8
cjd
Valued Member

I don't necessarily agree. Maybe the 4 year part is unbelievable but it is possible to get served a collection notice without being harassed.  A year ago I called my electric company to switch my service to a new apartment in the same complex. For some reason this required me to have a different account. It was just after the end of the billing cycle so they told me any balance would be transferred to the new accont. Fast forward a year and I get a letter from a collection agency saying I owe this debt of ~ $10. They have my address, email, and phone number (I know because they called me when I filed a complaint about it taking 3 hours to get my service transferred). Yet, no notice of an outstanding bill. When I called to get it figured out, it took three phone calls to different people to get it straightened. I asked for a new copy of the bill to be sent by email this time, since apparently the last one got lost in the mail but agreed to pay the balance anyway without knowing what I was being billed for. It's a good thing I did because I still haven't received a bill.

Starting Score: April 2012 EQ 624
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ 751
Goal Score: New Goal: 775!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge No Apps for the foreseeable future.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.