Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

23 worst used vehicles to buy

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

23 worst used vehicles to buy

I was surfing some news articles today and came across this list of the 'worst used vehicles to buy' and was curious, have any of you had any experience with these? The article is very generalized with no specifics on why each individual vehile is a poor choice.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/03/13/consumer-reports-names-23-worst-used-cars-to-buy/?intcmp=f...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 23 worst used vehicles to buy

My daughter just bought a used 2001 VW Beetle.  Even brand new I think there are things with it that would keep a consumer from purchasing one.

But, like you said, that article doesn't really say why. 

The worst thing is the gas mileage.  It is absolutely horrible.  Her big Dodge Ram 1500 gets better and it only gets 18 or so.

And replacement parts are about as expensive as they come.  And hard to get to to replace in the first place.

Message 2 of 6
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

My daughter just bought a used 2001 VW Beetle.  Even brand new I think there are things with it that would keep a consumer from purchasing one.

But, like you said, that article doesn't really say why. 

The worst thing is the gas mileage.  It is absolutely horrible.  Her big Dodge Ram 1500 gets better and it only gets 18 or so.

And replacement parts are about as expensive as they come.  And hard to get to to replace in the first place.

I have actually heard that before from a friend of mine up in Wisconsin. I have been in the market recently for a new vehicle but the problem is, I don't know what I want. All I know is that I want 30 mpg + and dont want to pay crazy amounts on a new hybrid. I did find the Mazda 3 hatchback which gets really good mileage but I have no idea if I would fit in it. One of these days I just need to suck it up and go to a dealership.

I feel like if I keep reading articles like this I will never buy another vehicle ever again, haha

Message 3 of 6
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

I guess I'm safe with my Acura and Nissan.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

My Beamer is safe, too!! 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 6
adamgoleafs

I bought a used Mazda 3 sedan after having a Civic since I was 17. Best buy i've made. Great milage, easy car to work on, looks good and drives great. Got a great deal on it also.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.