Senior Contributor

A look into the dark side of Debt Collecting - interesting and instructive

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: A look into the dark side of Debt Collecting - interesting and instructive

Wow, that's a huge amount of debt:

"From 2006 to 2009, for example, the nation’s top nine debt buyers purchased almost 90 million consumer accounts with more than $140 billion in “face value.”

And they bought at a steep discount. On average, they paid just 4.5 cents on the dollar"

Very interesting article! 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@pizzadude wrote:

Wow, that's a huge amount of debt:

"From 2006 to 2009, for example, the nation’s top nine debt buyers purchased almost 90 million consumer accounts with more than $140 billion in “face value.”

And they bought at a steep discount. On average, they paid just 4.5 cents on the dollar"

Very interesting article! 

So they spent 6.3B on a total debt of 140B.

Consumer spending for the last quarter is estimated at 10910.5B, or ~11T.

The article's number may be shock and awe for an individual, it's trivial when we're talking aggregate economy.  Looked at sloppily estimating 200M adults, that's $700 in debt each that went to the buyers: I know average isn't the right way to likely do this, but we're also talking a lot of paper that's way beyond SOL too hence the substantial discount.  Just doesn't seem like a large problem compared to other consumer debt metrics?  

Wouldn't surprise me if we had a larger value than that in unclaimed / abandoned financial assets.

Agreed is an interesting look at it, thank you for posting pipeguy!

        
Message 3 of 4
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Now I am going to have nightmares:

Larry told me that he had often made deals in his car in which the buyer gave him cash, and he handed the buyer a thumb drive with a spreadsheet containing the names, addresses, Social Security numbers, credit-card balances or loan amounts of several thousand debtors. 

CARDS: CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 10K | NORDSTROM STORE CARD 2K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.