cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express: Will Wells Fargo Really Buy It Out?

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express: Will Wells Fargo Really Buy It Out?

Yeah.  I'm guessing it would be the acquisition of the credit card portfolio rather than the full enchilada.

It wouldn't be a bad move for WF I think though I haven't really looked at the Amex financials; we know WF's mortgage mill games are going to be coming to an end at some point, and I have no idea why they've let their credit card portfolio languish so much compared to everyone else.  Interesting datapoint that even with their awkward credit cards they still have 1/3 the position that Chase et al does, but admittedly we're talking big ass numbers there which does skew it and I suspect the vast majority of consumers still have a credit card with their local bank and perhaps not much else based on average tradeline data stats that occasionally come out.

        
Message 2 of 8
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Many times "rumors" are trial baloons to see the reaction, but a lot of times there is some truth in those trial baloons. Credit card operations are profitable, just look at Capital One who gets 60% of their business from there credit card operations. WF is really NOT a player in credit cards, I mean they have them but the rates suck and they tend to require a relationship which is a big limiting factor. AmEx is beat down, as well as they should be given their refusal to adapt or die attitude, so it might be a good mix for WF.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting "trial baloon".

Message 3 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

They are just rumors and Wells Fargo outright denied it. Wells Fargo is beefing up their investment banking.

It really doesnt make sense for Wells Fargo to aquire Amex. There would be issues with Visa and Mastercard and there are better ways to expand their credit card porfolio.

What I do think is interesting and would be perfect is for Amex to aquire PayPal.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@sjt wrote:

They are just rumors and Wells Fargo outright denied it. Wells Fargo is beefing up their investment banking.

It really doesnt make sense for Wells Fargo to aquire Amex. There would be issues with Visa and Mastercard and there are better ways to expand their credit card porfolio.

What I do think is interesting and would be perfect is for Amex to aquire PayPal.

Not sure, the big banks are going to be going head to head with Paypal when it comes to instant money transfers (though has to be between accounts at the group of banks, currently BOFA and USBank for this initial implementation as I understand it but in theory Chase and others are going to get on).

This may be related to the same-day ACH transfer capability which is rolling out in 6 months and a couple days, not sure as I only heard the story on NPR the other day and haven't looked for more detail; however, given the massive footprint of the banks and customer predilictions, it might catch on especially if they can do it cheaper for everyone involved and ACH transactions as I understand it are non-trivially cheaper than the Paypal model.

        
Message 5 of 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@sjt wrote:

Bite your tongue.

What i think would be more interesting and better fit for all Smiley Very Happy would be for PayPal to acquire the inept Amex line

Amex dipped their toes far too much in the "unbanked" arena of those prepaid cards (Target Redbird, Serve, Bluebird etc.) that have created all sorts of fun for those peeps that lavished them for other purposes Smiley Wink and IMO add to all that the Costco cancellation and they got their lunch handed to them.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought that E-bay acquired PayPal???   It would make sense.  E-bay makes money from their site with fees and then fees at PayPal.  It's a mega-scam in my opinion.  I believe that they (E-bay) is gourging the average customer...JHMO.

MJH

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought that E-bay acquired PayPal???   It would make sense.  E-bay makes money from their site with fees and then fees at PayPal.  It's a mega-scam in my opinion.  I believe that they (E-bay) is gourging the average customer...JHMO.

MJH

Spun them off back in June of last year.  

Actually Paypal was way more profitable than Ebay (hence their constantly jacking up their fees over the past few years), haven't looked at Ebay numbers post spinoff as I had no interest in investing in that company.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.