Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards

Capital One, Synchrony, and the First National of Nebraska are leading for defaults on credit card defaults

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/americans-are-suddenly-defaulting-on-their-credit-cards/ar-BB...

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards

Just got ready to post this story - ya beat me to it Smiley Sad

Probably explains the AA and CLD's folks are experiencing as of late - thankfully I have not had and AA or CLD on any of my accounts. 

Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Between stories like this and the news about Dodd-Frank...something tells me things are about to get interesting.
Message 3 of 37
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

The sharp increase, the largest since 2009, is especially unusual given how strong the US employment market has been, Moody's noted. It suggests that American consumers haven't fallen onto hard times so much as banks have started to loosen their standards and issue credit more aggressively. 

Seems delusionally optimistic.  I'm confident that "strong employment market" is propped up by people who are simply no longer counted as unemployed because they gave up looking, and people who are working one or more less desirable lower paying jobs instead of a good one.  Maybe not "hard times" but not good ones either, and people want their former lifestyles back even if they can't really afford them.

Message 4 of 37
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

Interesting...CC defaults up significantly

Message 5 of 37
TheVig
Regular Contributor

Re: Interesting...CC defaults up significantly

I wonder how much of this is people defaulting for the first time ever? And how much of it is people who defaulted say back in 08/09 who never learned their lessons doing it all over again.
Message 6 of 37
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

For those of you wondering why Capital One is cutting your unused 50K limits down to 5K, now you know. 

Also makes sense that I can't get approved for Venture with scores around 700, when a year ago people in the 650's were getting 30K starting limits. 

Message 7 of 37
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Glen_M wrote:

Seems delusionally optimistic.  I'm confident that "strong employment market" is propped up by people who are simply no longer counted as unemployed because they gave up looking, and people who are working one or more less desirable lower paying jobs instead of a good one.  Maybe not "hard times" but not good ones either, and people want their former lifestyles back even if they can't really afford them.

I agree. The chart and the phenomenon are interesting, but the article's view that we now have this rosy economy and low-low-low unemployment is delusional. Only prosperous city dwellers see a great economy. For the most part the rest of us aren't experiencing any such thing. I would take the article's view on the causes of this problem with a whole shaker of salt.

One good sign is that, unlike in 2006-2008, banks are taking preemptive actions like the AA we've seen reported here. The defaults may have been caused partly by looser lending standards, but the banks are tightening standards back up.

Message 8 of 37
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Glen_M wrote:

The sharp increase, the largest since 2009, is especially unusual given how strong the US employment market has been, Moody's noted. It suggests that American consumers haven't fallen onto hard times so much as banks have started to loosen their standards and issue credit more aggressively. 

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 9 of 37
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@TheVig wrote:
I wonder how much of this is people defaulting for the first time ever? And how much of it is people who defaulted say back in 08/09 who never learned their lessons doing it all over again.

I'm leaning towards the later since the timing works of those 08/09 COs falling off for them to get credit again with clean reports more or less.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.