Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 846
Registered: ‎06-02-2016

Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards

[ Edited ]

Capital One, Synchrony, and the First National of Nebraska are leading for defaults on credit card defaults

 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/americans-are-suddenly-defaulting-on-their-credit-cards/ar-BB...

 


|| NFCU Signature $16.5K || NFCU Platinum $7.5K || Macy's $7.5K || Discover IT $6K || Chase FU $5K || CitiCostco $4K || CitiDC $3.3K || NFCU CLOC $1K ||
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,619
Registered: ‎10-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards

Just got ready to post this story - ya beat me to it Smiley Sad

 

Probably explains the AA and CLD's folks are experiencing as of late - thankfully I have not had and AA or CLD on any of my accounts. 

Established Contributor
Posts: 777
Registered: ‎08-12-2014

Re: Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards

Between stories like this and the news about Dodd-Frank...something tells me things are about to get interesting.
Regular Contributor
Posts: 130
Registered: ‎03-18-2017

Re: Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards


The sharp increase, the largest since 2009, is especially unusual given how strong the US employment market has been, Moody's noted. It suggests that American consumers haven't fallen onto hard times so much as banks have started to loosen their standards and issue credit more aggressively. 

 

 


Seems delusionally optimistic.  I'm confident that "strong employment market" is propped up by people who are simply no longer counted as unemployed because they gave up looking, and people who are working one or more less desirable lower paying jobs instead of a good one.  Maybe not "hard times" but not good ones either, and people want their former lifestyles back even if they can't really afford them.


Regular Contributor
Posts: 199
Registered: ‎08-06-2013
0 Kudos

Interesting...CC defaults up significantly

Contributor
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎07-27-2015

Re: Interesting...CC defaults up significantly

I wonder how much of this is people defaulting for the first time ever? And how much of it is people who defaulted say back in 08/09 who never learned their lessons doing it all over again.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,028
Registered: ‎03-03-2015

Re: Interesting...CC defaults up significantly

For those of you wondering why Capital One is cutting your unused 50K limits down to 5K, now you know. 

 

Also makes sense that I can't get approved for Venture with scores around 700, when a year ago people in the 650's were getting 30K starting limits. 



Starting scores: 552 EQ, 570 TU, 558 EX Current scores (9/1/17): 727 EQ 748 TU 731 EX
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,016
Registered: ‎01-23-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards


Glen_M wrote:

Seems delusionally optimistic.  I'm confident that "strong employment market" is propped up by people who are simply no longer counted as unemployed because they gave up looking, and people who are working one or more less desirable lower paying jobs instead of a good one.  Maybe not "hard times" but not good ones either, and people want their former lifestyles back even if they can't really afford them.


I agree. The chart and the phenomenon are interesting, but the article's view that we now have this rosy economy and low-low-low unemployment is delusional. Only prosperous city dwellers see a great economy. For the most part the rest of us aren't experiencing any such thing. I would take the article's view on the causes of this problem with a whole shaker of salt.

 

One good sign is that, unlike in 2006-2008, banks are taking preemptive actions like the AA we've seen reported here. The defaults may have been caused partly by looser lending standards, but the banks are tightening standards back up.

Super Contributor
Posts: 6,305
Registered: ‎02-24-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Americans are suddenly defaulting on their credit cards


Glen_M wrote:

The sharp increase, the largest since 2009, is especially unusual given how strong the US employment market has been, Moody's noted. It suggests that American consumers haven't fallen onto hard times so much as banks have started to loosen their standards and issue credit more aggressively. 

 

 


Seems delusionally optimistic.  I'm confident that "strong employment market" is propped up by people who are simply no longer counted as unemployed because they gave up looking, and people who are working one or more less desirable lower paying jobs instead of a good one.  Maybe not "hard times" but not good ones either, and people want their former lifestyles back even if they can't really afford them.


+1


FICO8 EQ 736 TU 743 EX 733 FICO5 EQ 707 Total revolving 422500
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 308
Registered: ‎04-29-2017

Re: Interesting...CC defaults up significantly


TheVig wrote:
I wonder how much of this is people defaulting for the first time ever? And how much of it is people who defaulted say back in 08/09 who never learned their lessons doing it all over again.

I'm leaning towards the later since the timing works of those 08/09 COs falling off for them to get credit again with clean reports more or less.

FICO 08 Scores (06/29/17): TU 817, EQ 821, EX 822
FICO 08 Scores (08/01/17): TU 827, EQ 830, EX 833

Daily Drivers
AMEX Business Platinum: NPSL | AMEX BCE: $18,000 | Capital One QS: $17,000 | Walmart MC: $15,000 | Sam's Club MC: $15,000

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.