cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex, Costco to end partnership March 31, 2016...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex, Costco to end partnership March 31, 2016...

@Emyshor wrote:

Here is the Capital One Platinum (for Costco users) in Canada:

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/costco/?Log=1&EventType=Link&ComponentType=G&LOB=MTS%3A%3ALCTM...

Only 2% for gas Smiley Sad

If Citi follows suit and only gives 2% on gas, they will have one UNHAPPY cardholder on their hands.  I'd probably go as far as requesting that my card remain an American Express card, hopefully a BCE or ED card (although totally useless to me, I want to maintain the relationship and TL).  3+% gas or bust, Citi.  

Message 61 of 73
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Emyshor wrote:

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/costco/?Log=1&EventType=Link&ComponentType=G&LOB=MTS%3A%3ALCTMMBESH&PageName=CA+HOME&PortletLocation=4%3Bca-12-col%3B1-1-2-1&ComponentName=costco-card-hp-Banner%3B6&ContentElement=1%3B%2Fmedia%2Fbanner%2Fcanada%2Fcostco-hp-carousel-en-v2.jpg&TargetLob=MTS%3A%3ALCTMMBESH&TargetPageName=Costco&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.capitalone.ca%2Fca-homepage

If Citi follows suit and only gives 2% on gas, they will have one UNHAPPY cardholder on their hands.  I'd probably go as far as requesting that my card remain an American Express card, hopefully a BCE or ED card (although totally useless to me, I want to maintain the relationship and TL).  3+% gas or bust, Citi.  

If that's the case and it's still only 1% on Costco store spend, I'd rather just app for the Chase AARP card, which has the built-in benefit of 3% back on restaurants (as well as gas), which is the highest of any non-quarterly category cashback card for dining (besting Amex TE's 2% on restaurant spend).

Message 62 of 73
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Emyshor wrote:

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/costco/?Log=1&EventType=Link&ComponentType=G&LOB=MTS%3A%3ALCTMMBESH&PageName=CA+HOME&PortletLocation=4%3Bca-12-col%3B1-1-2-1&ComponentName=costco-card-hp-Banner%3B6&ContentElement=1%3B%2Fmedia%2Fbanner%2Fcanada%2Fcostco-hp-carousel-en-v2.jpg&TargetLob=MTS%3A%3ALCTMMBESH&TargetPageName=Costco&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.capitalone.ca%2Fca-homepage

If that's the case and it's still only 1% on Costco store spend, I'd rather just app for the Chase AARP card, which has the built-in benefit of 3% back on restaurants (as well as gas), which is the highest of any non-quarterly category cashback card for dining (besting Amex TE's 2% on restaurant spend).

Personally, I plan on Chase cards for Costco, since I don't have car, they still count other purchases at gas station (better than Amex).  Unless citi comes out with a really swell deal, their cards are not on my radar.  I was going to app other chase cards, but my next one may be the ink cash.

Signature needs updating
Message 63 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Emyshor wrote:

I have the Chase AARP card.  My fear is that other banks see the low swipe fees at Costco and choose not to honor the 3% at gas stations.  In any event, if other banks accept Costco to be coded as gas, I'm jumping on the BoA Cash Rewards.  Preferred Rewards makes that a powerful gas card for Costco.

With that said, I doubt that Citi gives us more than the standard 1% at Costco.  Costco squeezed AmEx out, I doubt they did Citi any favors.  Citi can't afford to give more than 1% at Costco.  They're buying the portfolio for the 70% of swipes that happen outside of Costco.

Message 64 of 73
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Emyshor wrote:

I have the Chase AARP card.  My fear is that other banks see the low swipe fees at Costco and choose not to honor the 3% at gas stations.  In any event, if other banks accept Costco to be coded as gas, I'm jumping on the BoA Cash Rewards.  Preferred Rewards makes that a powerful gas card for Costco.

With that said, I doubt that Citi gives us more than the standard 1% at Costco.  Costco squeezed AmEx out, I doubt they did Citi any favors.  Citi can't afford to give more than 1% at Costco.  They're buying the portfolio for the 70% of swipes that happen outside of Costco.

I would imagine Citi would have to offer some sort of cashback perks or benefits with their new Costco card.  I suspect it wouldn't be much different than the TE, which others have noted isn't groundbreaking in terms of rewards.  I could see them doing something like 2% back on gas, restaurants, and travel expenses capped and 1% on everything else.  Something generic and easily bested by other cards.  On the other hand, maybe they will have better perks than the TE and maintain at least 3% back on gas (including at Costco) and maybe something slightly better than 1% at Costco.  I hope we find out sooner rather than later even though it's more than a year off.  

Message 65 of 73
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Personally, I plan on Chase cards for Costco

Me too!

Message 66 of 73
smittyboy020
Contributor

Message 67 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this screws up my utilization of my AMEX card! I wonder if AMEX is going to create an entirely new card to PC Costco customers to or will they PC them to the BCE or BCP? 

Message 68 of 73
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I beleive the COSTCO credit card Amex True Earnings will be converted to a CITI Visa Card

Message 69 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to a representative yesterday and she said she would look into it. A few minutes later she had asked about some of my financial information to be updated. She then said okay everything has been updated and you'll have a response in about 7-10 business days. I'm pretty confuse. Up until this morning I recieved a notification alert through myfico that my experian showed an HP. I looked though some fourms and they said sp doe denial and hp foe approval for Pc. I was still felt unsure so I called.. Looks like the rep placed it as an application rather than a Pc. I'm pretty upset. They transfered me to a Bureau and the rep told me it was denied 😕 I knew that would happened, oh and I wanted the BCP
Message 70 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.