Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Snatches Back JD Power Crown from Discover

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Amex Snatches Back JD Power Crown from Discover

After lagging behind Discover for 2015 and 2016, Amex has regained the top spot on the JD Power credit card satisfaction survey. Amex scored 835, to Discover's 827. B oth Amex and Discover earned 5 stars overall. None of the other eligible institutions reached beyond 3 stars/dots.

One interesting note is that USAA scored 871, but because its products are only available to a closed membership, it was not eligible to be ranked.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2017-jd-power-credit-card-study

PS - just noticed the press release was about a month ago. I noticed it now because I just received an email from Amex. If it's already been discussed, mods should feel free to merge.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Snatches Back JD Power Crown from Discover

Thanks for sharing.

I'm currently going through my first CC fraud dispute, big name bank, $3k charge from some place 4 states away from me out of nowhere.

It really has changed my outlook on CC's in general. I might stick to just one card and sock drawer or close everything else. Go with a top tier card with an AF like AMEX or the Limitless with USAA and call it a day.

I will pay extra for good customer service, or to just not have to deal with bad customer service. This fraud thing has been a huge pain in the ass.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA beats both of them and it's obvious as to why. 

However, even the best institutions have reps that don't have much of a clue about what they're talking about half the time. 

One example is a good fellow who posted a thread a few weeks back about their Limitless card. Rep told him It'd be fully released the week of the 17th, yet here we are on Friday the 22nd and it's still in online pilot mode. 

I'd say customer service is terrible across the board with every industry these days, even when some customers shout about how great theirs is. 

One additional note I'd like to add is that Charles Schwab bank (which is more of an investment company) would have all three of those companies beat by a wide margin, but even then it takes too long to reach a rep on chat or even on the phone sometimes. 

Message 3 of 4
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

USAA beats both of them and it's obvious as to why. 

However, even the best institutions have reps that don't have much of a clue about what they're talking about half the time. 

One example is a good fellow who posted a thread a few weeks back about their Limitless card. Rep told him It'd be fully released the week of the 17th, yet here we are on Friday the 22nd and it's still in online pilot mode. 

I'd say customer service is terrible across the board with every industry these days, even when some customers shout about how great theirs is. 

One additional note I'd like to add is that Charles Schwab bank (which is more of an investment company) would have all three of those companies beat by a wide margin, but even then it takes too long to reach a rep on chat or even on the phone sometimes. 

Well technically it's still the week of the 17th.. Plus this seems trivial when it comes to good or bad CS, it seems. At least in my view..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.