Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW Article - How Target Blew It

tag
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

BW Article - How Target Blew It

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-13/target-missed-alarms-in-epic-hack-of-credit-card-dat...

An interesting read on the Target data breech.  The lack of action despite system notification and offshore IT notifying corporate is alarming.  The distressing part is that consumer is the one that is left in jeopardy.  Even when there are fraudulent charges that are credited back to the individual consumers if the business losses or cost of doing business goes up that is passed along to the consumer.

From the article:

"On Saturday, Nov. 30, the hackers had set their traps and had just one thing to do before starting the attack: plan the data’s escape route. As they uploaded exfiltration malware to move stolen credit card numbers—first to staging points spread around the U.S. to cover their tracks, then into their computers in Russia—FireEye spotted them. Bangalore got an alert and flagged the security team in Minneapolis. And then …

Nothing happened."

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: BW Article - How Target Blew It

I read an interesting article about the 16 year old in Russia who wrote the program that made the Target breach

They can't touch him because he doesn't launch the attacks he sells the software to hackers who then do the crime.

Then they sell card numbers to one group in batches depending on how many you wish to purchase who make duplicate cards ,another group buys SS number then it trickles down to the another group that does ID theft and bad checks 

This was the 16 year olds second major breach program design

16 huh 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I read an interesting article about the 16 year old in Russia who wrote the program that made the Target breach

They can't touch him because he doesn't launch the attacks he sells the software to hackers who then do the crime.

Then they sell card numbers to one group in batches depending on how many you wish to purchase who make duplicate cards ,another group buys SS number then it trickles down to the another group that does ID theft and bad checks 

16 huh 

As the mother of a 15yo... I wonder if he cleans his room and does his homework....  Forget getting him to walk the dog!

But WOW...  Not only is he smart enough to write programs that bring major corporations to their knees, he can do it in such a way that he's untouchable for the crime.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

@sailor_mercury wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

16 huh 

As the mother of a 15yo... I wonder if he cleans his room and does his homework....  Forget getting him to walk the dog!

But WOW...  Not only is he smart enough to write programs that bring major corporations to their knees, he can do it in such a way that he's untouchable for the crime.

I doubt if he does any of that from what I read he has a great income ...probably HHI....Lol

Even the international computer fraud agency can't touch him

He's got a heck of a brain for sure....smart enough to write but not use but gets paid for his services ...unbelievable 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.