Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Times for Banks Means Boom Times for Credit Unions

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Bad Times for Banks Means Boom Times for Credit Unions

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1853174,00.html

Members-only nonprofit credit unions are having their turn in the sun as years of sticking to boring, old-fashioned banking practices — they typically hold the mortgages they make on their own books and only dabble in subprime — put them in a position to grab market share while national banks, auto finance companies, credit-card outfits and private student-loan firms cut back on loans. "In good times, you'd say these guys are much too conservative," says George Hofheimer, chief research officer of the credit-union-focused Filene Research Institute. "But in times like these, it's just what the doctor ordered."

Credit unions aren't shy about having money to lend. Speed's outfit, the 126,000-member Texas Dow Employees Credit Union (TDECU), has been running TV spots since August and is doubling its ad budget for the fourth quarter.  

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Bad Times for Banks Means Boom Times for Credit Unions

I love my CU.  I have had several auto-lons with them.  I wish my credit was good enough 5 years ago when I bought my home I would have liked to finance it with them as well.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.