Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankers' Spouses Deprived Of Luxury Items During Downturn

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Bankers' Spouses Deprived Of Luxury Items During Downturn

Less than 48 hours after news broke that Bear Stearns & Co. Inc. would be bought for a fire-sale price, the wives of two of the firm's senior investment bankers called their high-end interior designer to cancel their contracts.....................

"We only had about $50,000 worth of final touches [to go], and the wife called me last week and said stop," said interior designer Darren Henault, whose work has been featured in Vanity Fair and Elle Decor

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bankers' Spouses Deprived Of Luxury Items During Downturn

What's next...um, uh, no more daily yard service. lol
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:
What's next...um, uh, no more daily yard service. lol

Or cutting the pool boy back to only 4 days a week instead of 7 for cleaning their Olympic sized pool.
Message 3 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

It was the $50,000 of finishing touches that got me - I cannot imagine what the rest of the work cost!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Lifestyles of the Rich and Ostentatious. And Vulgar.

Whatever happened to Old Money, and people who knew how to handle it? (Yes, it's true, I am a crashing snob...)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That $50,000 was probably for new drapes in the house. Smiley Tongue
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read the artical and had a hard time believing that. It is just dumb that they will spend that kind of money with finishing touches.
Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

From good old Wiki:

Conspicuous consumption is a term used to describe the lavish spending on goods and services acquired mainly for the purpose of displaying income or wealth. In the mind of a conspicuous consumer, such display serves as a means of attaining or maintaining social status. A very similar but more colloquial term is "keeping up with the Joneses".

Invidious consumption, a necessary corollary, is the term applied to consumption of goods and services for the deliberate purpose of inspiring envy in others.

The term conspicuous consumption was introduced by Norwegian American economist and sociologist Thorstein Veblen in his 1899 book The Theory of the Leisure Class. Veblen used the term to depict the behavioral characteristic of the nouveau riche, a class emerging in the 19th century as a result of the accumulation of wealth during the Second Industrial Revolution. In this context, the application of the term should be narrowed to the elements of the upper class who use their enormous wealth to manifest social power, whether real or perceived.

With significant improvement of living standards and the emergence of the middle class in the 20th century, the term conspicuous consumption is now broadly applied to individuals and households with expendable incomes whose consumption patterns are prompted by the utility of goods to show their status rather than any intrinsic utility of such goods. In the 1920s, economists such as Paul Nystrom theorized that lifestyle changes brought on by the industrial age were inducing a "philosophy of futility" in the masses, which would increase fashionable consumption. Thus, the concept of conspicuous consumption has been discussed in the context of addictive or narcissistic behaviors induced by consumerism, the desire for immediate gratification, and hedonic expectations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption

I also remember from some long-ago sociology class that conspicuous consumption was also believed to demonstrate that the husband was bringing home so much income that the wife did not need to work, and could spend lots of money on decorative display. Back when it was considered bad manners to admit how much money one made, having a wife who could spend lots of money on the home, fashion, etc. was a means of getting around this etiquette prohibition.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No sylviatob, it was those must have real fur covered  toilet seats!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sylviatob wrote:
That $50,000 was probably for new drapes in the house. Smiley Tongue

For $50K, the carpet and drapes danged sure better match. Oh, wait, that's means something else.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.