Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard (Ring) Interesting Article

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Barclaycard (Ring) Interesting Article

Hope I'm posting this in the right area.  I came across this article written by a Barclays Bank employee that gives some interesting (at least to me) perspective from a lender's point of view on CLI and CLD.  Hopefully I didn't miss this already in the Barclays thread, but I found it to be a very good read on why they do what they do.  Two things that stood out for me;  only 2-3% of their customers have more than 1 account with Barclays and they view balances as income and open credit lines as risk.

Part 1

Part 2

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclaycard (Ring) Interesting Article

B335, thanks for sharing this.  I loved the reading and it makes a lot of sense. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 2 of 7
brother7
Established Contributor

I found this to be a very interesting read. It's what I suspected all along. The article's author did an excellent job in explaining this confusing topic.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 3 of 7
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

pretty good read -- basic stuff (your two line summary pretty much hit the nail on the head), but i love the transparency of barclays and what they're doing with their Ring product. i imagine this would be incredibly insightful and easy to follow along for those less versed in credit.

thanks for sharing

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 4 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you all got something out of it (even if it's a refresher).  In all my history with Barclays I never wanted a balance to post (which I knew was the wrong thing to do with them), but after reading this I actually make an effort to let Barclays report a balance Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting this.  It appears as though there is a middle-ground safe zone for Barclays balances.  Her utilization was too high on the card that received a decrease, but it was just right on the card that received an increase.  No utilization would have resulted in neither CLI nor CLD (according to the author of the article).

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 7
growing123
Regular Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  It appears as though there is a middle-ground safe zone for Barclays balances.  Her utilization was too high on the card that received a decrease, but it was just right on the card that received an increase.  No utilization would have resulted in neither CLI nor CLD (according to the author of the article).

+1 That's what I took from the article as well.  Good read!  Now I want to get a Barclay card! lol 

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.