Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays - the worst breach of bank data EVER

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Barclays - the worst breach of bank data EVER

I am not sure whether or not I am allowed to post the following link, but for more info, please refer to the following article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554875/Barclays-account-details-sale-gold-27-000-files-leak...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays - the worst breach of bank data EVER

Thanks for the info. 

Note to self:

NOT to app for Barclays & Duck (as they also seem to have some other issues)

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 8
daninbath
Established Member

Not that I'm defending them, but that article is from the UK and I suspect they use a totally different system over there.  

Message 3 of 8
coterotie
Established Contributor

Yes, this is Barclay's BANK.  Their financial planning unit which was shuttered 3 years ago.  My guess is this will be traced to a disgruntled former employee who cloned a laptop with customer data.  Nothing to do with hacking or systems penetration.

I wouldn't cross pollinate this with any worries about their credit card operations.  They are the largest European card issuer.

@daninbath wrote:

Not that I'm defending them, but that article is from the UK and I suspect they use a totally different system over there.  

Message 4 of 8
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@daninbath wrote:

It also appears to be limited to customers of their financial services division, not necessarily CC holders.  This situation is different from the recent Target/Neiman Marcus issues, but even more disturbing due t how the info was obtained.  Unfortunately, we will continue to see more and more of this in the future.

Message 5 of 8
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Just wonder how long it will take until EQ, TU or EX will get hacked Smiley Surprised....there all data would be stored in one place!

Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@daninbath wrote:

It also appears to be limited to customers of their financial services division, not necessarily CC holders.  This situation is different from the recent Target/Neiman Marcus issues, but even more disturbing due t how the info was obtained.  Unfortunately, we will continue to see more and more of this in the future.

Right, it is very different.  Note also that Mail on Sunday is prone (like most tabloids) to present info in an overly sensational way.   Also the numbers, this is 27,000 files as compared to the millions of accounts stolen in US attacks.  The files are much more useful than mere account numbers, but for different kinds of attacks, scam selling rather fraudulent charges (especially as these are bank accounts, not credit cards)

I agree with the earlier post, very likely a disgruntled former employee rather than a data breach.

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@lg8302ch wrote:

Just wonder how long it will take until EQ, TU or EX will get hacked Smiley Surprised....there all data would be stored in one place!

It's a lot harder I suspect.  Vast majority of transactions come in from API's which they provide to the banks.  Very tightly controlled on that side.

Given that the majority of hacks are internal though, and I've never worked inside a CRA though I have in several banks at times in a security role, I suspect they're equally as hardcore.  It could happen, and people can view the data as part of their daily employment, but others can see who's looking.

It's not a perfect system but I suspect it's a lot less likely to happen: most likely breaches, as has happened somewhat recently with EX, would be from a 3rd party with access to some of the data whose controls aren't nearly as stringent.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.