Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware: These stores could harm your credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Beware: These stores could harm your credit

I'm on an AmEx run today it seems.

This story makes me feel nauseous. I am never utilizing my AmEx card again. There must be a lot of very, very scared people at the top of that company.
Message 11 of 15
MattH
Senior Contributor

Once upon a time (back in the 1980s and 1990s) AMEX was a super-prime card: difficult to get and superlative customer service.  I know because I've been an AMEX cardholder since 1982 with an excellent payment history.  Recently they raised my interest rate, which has no practical importance because the only interest my wife and I currently pay is our mortgage and we've got over six months of living expenses in our emergency fund, but still I dislike the implicit message in ratejacking one of their best customers.  I'm gonna keep the card because it's the oldest tradeline in my credit history, and I'm gonna run a few transactions through my AMEX account every month, but they're gonna get MUCH less in transaction fees than they could if they treated me better.  Every one of my cards has a limit far higher than what I ever spend in a month, and I've got much more than that in savings, so I am free to choose who gets my transaction business.  Since my wife and both have very good jobs and carry very little cash, we represent a fairly substantial amount of transaction business for somebody every month.  Frankly, I feel the credit card companies need customers like me a lot more than I need any of those companies, so I'm gonna vote with my wallet.  And since my SECOND-oldest tradeline (Citicard since 1987) has been active for 22 years if they keep getting less customer-friendly I just might even say adios entirely to my personal AMEX card (I've also got an AMEX Corporate Card for travel expenses at my work, but I don't pay that and it does not appear in my personal credit history).

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 12 of 15
marty56
Super Contributor

@MattH wrote:

Since my wife and both have very good jobs and carry very little cash, we represent a fairly substantial amount of transaction business for somebody every month.

Funny you mention that.  I rarely carry cash and use my debit card for almost evey purchase other than when I need to exercise my credit cards.  If AE would only look at your transaction history, they would discover that the only way to make money on you would be if you used the card more in transaction fees since I assume you PIF it.  They are losing money on a good customer, once that has shown zero risk.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 15
moonman
Frequent Contributor

Amex is a nice card to carry but is it worth all  the headaches........Smiley Indifferent
Message Edited by moonman on 02-18-2009 06:59 PM
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Canceled my American Express Blue Cash on the same day I payed $23,000 to pay down my cards... they saw I was carrying a high debt load for a month, and then freaked out.  If they would have just waited a month everything would have been peachy on my credit report.  I think it was just very poor timing when they reviewed my account, but then again AMEX is freaking out lowing limits if not canceling cards left and right.  What pisses me off is I may have  661 now but next month it'll be 760+ because I've never been late, and have a long credit history.

They lost me as a customer, I'm going over to Discover...

I think Discover will be home to many American Express Ex-patriots!!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.