cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big changes coming to credit card scoring.

tag
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

Big changes coming to credit card scoring.

Interesting read. Could some banks be using this now resulting in the recent AAs?

http://triblive.com/business/headlines/12211995-74/changes-coming-to-credit-score-calculations

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Big changes coming to credit card scoring.

@Benzman wrote:

Interesting read. Could some banks be using this now resulting in the recent AAs?

http://triblive.com/business/headlines/12211995-74/changes-coming-to-credit-score-calculations

The article refers to changes in Vantage scores not FICO so no this has nothing to do with any AAs.  No idea where the author assumes that banks are using Vantage scores in approving or denying credit cards.  That's just not the case

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see validity if certain lenders use Vantage to pull credit more often because I assume it costs less for that service-- or they wouldn't be providing it free to everyone. I knows firsthand the less credit seeking I do the more the Vantage score gets in line with my real scores. I acquire new credit my real FICO often stays the same or goes up and vantage dips. I see Vantage as a good snapshot but not the whole story.
Message 3 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That article was a mess. While Vantage scores may have been given 8 billion times (since most Free Credit Score apps and websites use them), there is no way the scores were used to determine credit applications that many times.

I really despise the Vantage model to be honest. There is no way that someone with 1/10th of my income, 1/10th of my credit history, late payments or worse, etc. should be scored significantly higher because Vantage doesn't like new accounts, moderate utilization, and high credit limits.

I do wonder if the subprime lenders are starting to use Vantage scores, though? Yesterday I got a prequalified offer in the mail from Barclay for the MasterCard Black Card with their lowest APR, but I also got an offer for a guaranteed $1000 line from First Premier with $149 setup fee, $99 annual fee and 27.9% APR. My FICO scores are adequate to qualify for pretty much everything under the sun, but my Vantage scores have always been quite firmly in the "Fair Credit" range of 600-660. Something happened with my EQ on Credit Karma a few weeks ago that made it spike up to like 695 but then the next update it was back down to like 640, while my EQ FICO 08 was more than 100 points higher.
Message 4 of 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Benzman wrote:

The article refers to changes in Vantage scores not FICO so no this has nothing to do with any AAs.  No idea where the author assumes that banks are using Vantage scores in approving or denying credit cards.  That's just not the case

Well, I know Fair Issac claims that FICO scores are used by "90% of lenders", but this statement in the article caught my attention: "VantageScore handled 8 billion account applications last year, so that score was likely used to approve or deny you.". So I Googled "VantageScore handled 8 billion account applications last year". The "author" is the Associated Press, and that same article is being widely reprinted, including by the NY Times.

I think the changes in VantageScore may well have something to do with AAs, as the new "Trended Data" is designed to to see warning signs long before a borrower actually gets into serious trouble. Trended data will score someone who is paying down debt higher than someoene just making minimum payments. This statement particularly concerns me: "But VantageScore will now mark a borrower negatively for having excessively large credit card limits, on the theory that the person could run up a high credit card debt quickly". "Theory"? Here's my theory: If I have $60k in CLs accross a dozen cards with an average of $5k CL, I can run up CC debt just as fast than if I just had 3 CCs with $20k CLs.

Message 5 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Now, now, DaveInAZ. It's only logical that someone with $20k in credit lines spread across 40 $500 store cards that they got 24 months ago from the same two lenders handles credit much more responsibly than the person who has had a $10k BOA card for 3 years, a $5000 Chase card for 2 years, and just got a $5000 AmEx card.
Message 6 of 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Now, now, DaveInAZ. It's only logical that someone with $20k in credit lines spread across 40 $500 store cards that they got 24 months ago from the same two lenders handles credit much more responsibly than the person who has had a $10k BOA card for 3 years, a $5000 Chase card for 2 years, and just got a $5000 AmEx card.

Well, K-in-Boston, you do have a point there - I just got me a brand new swimming pool on my $500 Wally World store card -

trailer-trash-610x250.jpg

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:
That article was a mess. While Vantage scores may have been given 8 billion times (since most Free Credit Score apps and websites use them), there is no way the scores were used to determine credit applications that many times.

I really despise the Vantage model to be honest. There is no way that someone with 1/10th of my income, 1/10th of my credit history, late payments or worse, etc. should be scored significantly higher because Vantage doesn't like new accounts, moderate utilization, and high credit limits.

I do wonder if the subprime lenders are starting to use Vantage scores, though? Yesterday I got a prequalified offer in the mail from Barclay for the MasterCard Black Card with their lowest APR, but I also got an offer for a guaranteed $1000 line from First Premier with $149 setup fee, $99 annual fee and 27.9% APR. My FICO scores are adequate to qualify for pretty much everything under the sun, but my Vantage scores have always been quite firmly in the "Fair Credit" range of 600-660. Something happened with my EQ on Credit Karma a few weeks ago that made it spike up to like 695 but then the next update it was back down to like 640, while my EQ FICO 08 was more than 100 points higher.

Odd. It's consistently been the reverse for me. My Vantage scores have consistently been higher than my FICO 8 scores. The latest VS for TU is 684 (after my Penfed car loan finally reported to them last week), 684 for EX, and 691 for EQ, as compared to 627 (as of the end of March) TU FICO 8, 662 EX FICO 8 and 659 EQ FICO 8 (another joker in the deck is that EQ FICO NextGen 2, used by Penfed, is 690, just one point lower than my Vantage score).

Message 8 of 15
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

My vantage scores are all around 660-670 but my ficos are all above 760+ in Fico8.. no lender that I've ever applied for has pulled a vantage score, IMO vantage scores are beyond dumb... I PIF my card and my score drops 9 points 😂 Lol.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Benzman wrote:

Where is the writer getting the information that Vantage score handled 8 billion applications?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.