Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA insider reports to Kiplingers

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

CA insider reports to Kiplingers

Well, not an insider, but a reporter posing as a CA rep as found in Nov. 08 issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance.

http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives/2008/11/confessions-of-debt-collector.html

I wonder if this is the full article or a segment. I'm gonna check it out.

For those on the "no PP for CAs" bandwagon:

"Joe tells Ethel that he's looking at her credit report and it doesn't support her innocence. "This card was paid every month for two years," he says. "Identity thieves don't do that!" Maybe he's right and she's trying to skip a legitimate bill. Or maybe he's making it up."

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: CA insider reports to Kiplingers

@llecs wrote:

Well, not an insider, but a reporter posing as a CA rep as found in Nov. 08 issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance.

http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives/2008/11/confessions-of-debt-collector.html

I wonder if this is the full article or a segment. I'm gonna check it out.

For those on the "no PP for CAs" bandwagon:

"Joe tells Ethel that he's looking at her credit report and it doesn't support her innocence. "This card was paid every month for two years," he says. "Identity thieves don't do that!" Maybe he's right and she's trying to skip a legitimate bill. Or maybe he's making it up."

Interesting article, lovely people.  A few years ago a collection agency got me confused with a deadbeat in the next county who had a name similar to mine, and sorting that out was fun.  Fortunately I was able to prove that I had resided in my current zip code since 1992 (my wife and I moved half a mile from a rental to a condo in 2002) so I could not be the person they sought.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 6
treski
Frequent Contributor

Bleh.

Sweethearts, aren't they?

NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 3 of 6
Veee
Frequent Contributor

You know ... reading something like this really makes me want to say - screw just getting Midland removed for my benefit ... I want to sue so its one more legal strike agaisnt them.

This really makes me mad, I know there are scammers out there but that doesn't make the rest of us or the majority that way!  My issue with Midland and Providian actually happen to be fruad charges and I was treated the same way this artical reads and thats BS!

Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 4 of 6
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Veee wrote:

You know ... reading something like this really makes me want to say - screw just getting Midland removed for my benefit ... I want to sue so its one more legal strike agaisnt them.

This really makes me mad, I know there are scammers out there but that doesn't make the rest of us or the majority that way!  My issue with Midland and Providian actually happen to be fraud charges and I was treated the same way this article reads and that's BS!

It is very rare for me to use profanity on the telephone, but when that collector had me confused with a deadbeat in the next county I ended up using some on the phone with him.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 6
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Yuk, I need a shower.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.